Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Hi all.
We just got back early last friday morning from AC.
While there my daughter was ill with abdominal pain every two hours (wed. I think) which gradually got better by thursday when we travelled back to home. She had started her cycle a few days before that and we went snorkeling the prev. day (can swallowing sea water give abdominal pain?), or I figured it was something she ate.
Today is sunday the 24th (we returned home early the 22nd and were on AC from 14-21 Dec.) and she is having flu symptoms that started last night: some fever, chills, aches especially in the legs, headaches. Tyelnol takes care of the fever for a bit.
We were only on the mainland for a half day Altun Ha and river tour. I don't think we were there after dark.

Today I'm having some bathroom flu symptoms (and I don't mean vomiting), and dh was a bit off last night at work. Other daughter and her fiance seem to be fine.

So this very well could be the flu since I realize that Malaria isn't contagious as such.

She did get skeeter bitten on the island (more so than either dh or I)... should I be concerned or am I just being freaked out??

I read some of the posts here that say Malaria isn't common on the island.

At this point the only doc avail. would be the emergency room. (gotta love retired military health care sometimes)

Thanks everyone and Merry Christmas!!

Robin

Flu has been running rampant in Belize for a couple of weeks now ever since the cold spell we had.. Rest, tylenol and lots of fluids.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks dabunk, I'll try not to worry then.

Not much symptoms for malaria except very high fever..got it about 12 years ago in jungle near Guatemala border. and I do mean very high fever!! Just a virus or flu, which of course is harder to treat than malaria!!! Doesn't that figure!

Can't find my plane...
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Doesn't sound anything like malaria. As I remember it, it gives no particular abdominal symptoms but a cyclical extreme fever, which disappears almost as suddently as it appears. By "extreme" I mean very high indeed - the last fever I had before they hit on a treatment that worked my temperature went up to 111F. I was delirious long before then and only know what I was told, but at that point all they're concerned with is getting the temperature down, as regardless of cause it is that which will kill you.

No, she hasn't got malaria. But get her to a doctor with knowledge of tropical diseases anyway.

From my experience the only time you should be really worried about malaria is if you are staying inland for weeks and weeks... but not so on AC.

S
S
Doesn't sound like Malaria but the symptoms are similar to the ones I had when I picked up Typhoid on the mainland 5 or 6 years ago.

If its typhoid you will need to seek medical treatment. My friend contracted typhoid on the mainland earlier this year. Quite ill, ended up on a iv drip and hospitalized for a few days.

Don't delay for too long.

I had the worst flu ever this year, sick for about 3 weeks. No abdominal symptoms though.

One thing about malaria. If you have it you will have chills and fever every day. Sometimes only once, sometimes many times depending on the type. Many types of malaria. If you do not have chills and fever both its not malaria..

Or Offline
if you are still not feeling well and the chills come with bone pains try a remedy called eupatorium perf. Or else Gelsemium if you are feeling very weak with all the flu like symptoms. It should clear you up. Feel better, and yes lots and lots of fluids.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.