Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#215025 12/06/06 06:18 PM
OP Offline
We're taking our cat with us next time we go down and have noticed that Continental & American Airlines have completely opposite rules for taking pets to Belize. Curious as to comments from any boarders that have had experience in taking their pets down on either airline.

Sorry, I've only carried a puppy out of Belize on American. Had no problem, carried her right on the plane and put her under the seat in front us. Of course we had to have papers from the VET.

ArtZ SmartZ
i brought both my cats down when i moved here. was only supposed to be allowed to bring one on board, but...sometimes a smile is worth a thousand...that and a LOT of tears.

anyway, technically, for both airlines it should be pretty simple and relatively the same. you will need international vet certificate, a carrier that will allow him/her to stand and turn around in (not that anyone is going to check), and thats about it.

when you book your reservation, you need to tell them that you are going to bring a pet. the airlines are only allowed to have so many pets on board per flight.

if i were you, i'd wait till i got there, plan on the cat being a carryon, and try to get them to let you put him under the seat in front of you. less stress for you, less stress for the cat. you SHOULD be allowed to do this provided you are the first to ask for it.

its a MUCH more common occurrance than you think. no one at security or anywhere else was surprised to see my babies. they WERE however surprised at the carrier i had that was on wheels so i just pulled these two cats behind me as i ran through the airport smile

(best deal ever...small cat carrier $8 from a catalogue i found online and they had freakin wheels! it was PURRRfect!)

OP Offline
On their respective websites, Continental will only allow carry-on pets when traveling to Belize; American states carry-on is not allowed to Belize, only check in and only if the temperature at your destination is predicted to be 85 degrees or less. It's like a crap shoot. We plan on taking her down every time we go which will be about 4 times a year, so we'll probably get it all figured out very quickly!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
OP Offline
ArtZ SmartZ, you were traveling TO the US. Different rules from the US to Belize on American. American will allow a carry on pet going to the US, but not going to Belize. Going to Belize they have to be checked in.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
would love to help with this question. I brought my animal to the island. There are two very informative threads on this topic, however when I do a search on this new format to bring up both links it says "can not do a search at this time." Have you tried and do you have the same situation?

We bring our little dog each year on Contenial. You need to pay $200 for the carry on pet and only 2 are allowed on any one flight. Do not show up and expect to get on the flight. I have tried to book flights and one leg of the flight already had the 2 pets allowed. Before it is all over bringing the dog down cost around $350us. The last time even more as we traveled on NWA & Cont.air.-they each charged us. We have had them check to make sure the dog could turn around and carrier had to be hard sided.
To get into Belize you need a USDA form filed out by your Vet. And you need to apply before arrival to bring the pet in.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
B
B
So...once you bring your cat/dog down...is the process the same if you return to the US?

On the way back to the States I just showed the US folks the same papers I showed on entry to Belize. They did look Miss Molly over and ask if I had dog food (a no no). That was after a 3 month stay. I did not do an up date.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Brussel, are you considering a cat or dog and if it's a dog what is the size? There are weather restrictions on American Air and if your pet is over a certain size and must be flown with Cargo. Noticed you are in NYC and you messaged me you are coming in Jan. Will be too cold to fly out of NYC on American so check american if you have a large dog.

Last edited by Kra-Z-K-VIKINGS; 01/03/07 05:09 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.