Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#225962 01/08/07 12:42 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
this is an example of a scam going around...

Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:22 AM
Subject: BOOKING ENQUIRY

> Greetings,
> I will like to book a reservation for 2 couples (4 people)coming on a
> vacation in
> your area for the period of 10th March. - 31st March. 2007.
> Please confirm and get back to me if there is any availability including
> the total
> cost for the period they will be staying.
> Have a prosperous New year!!!
> Maurice Pitt

------------------------------------
Hi Maurice:

Thanks for your e-mail of inquiry below. We are still showing space
available in two of our one-bedroom beachfront suites for the dates you are
requesting below. The nightly rate per suite is $129 U.S. plus 9% govt.
room tax. Please let me know if I can confirm a reservation for you.

Thanks,
=============================================================
Greetings,
Thanks for the mail.I have just concluded payment arrangement with my clients and i will be making full payment of ($2,709) to you in order to secure this booking.Their names are as follows:

Name:-------------------- Dr $ Mrs Robert A. Green
Address:--------------- Victoria Street , Armagh , BT61 9DT , Republic of Ireland
Name---------------------Mr. $ Mrs. Lawrence C. Wright
Address: --------------- Lisbon street , Armagh , BT61 9DT , Republic of Ireland

I am going to send you my Visa Credit Card Information first thing tomorrow which will cover the cost of their accommodation,and other necessary arrangement for my clients' vacation trip.
I was instructed by my clients to arrange for body guards that follow them. However, I have made arrangement with a Security company who will provide them with the body guards. Because the Security company is not equipped with a credit card facility. And more so, we make all our reservation with credit card payment.
Therefore, On receipt of my credit card details, I authorize you to charge the credit card and confirm the amount of ($9,809) into your account.
Deduct the cost of your services ($2,709) and send ($7,100) being the cost for the Security company through SWIFT bank transfer to the Security company for onward arrangement.
So,i will like you to confirm your committement in this message, by getting back to me with
(1) YOUR FULL NAME (2) FULL ADDRESS (3) Mobile NUMBER for easy contact and for our office record as well.
Again, remember that the integrity of our agency is involved, as this business
requires prompt response. I also hope the stay of my client will be made comfortable. I await your quick response so we can proceed to payment.

Kind Regards,
Maurice Pitt
Manager
Phone +44(0)702 409 9162
Office Hour 8am-6pm GMT

==========================================

The scam involved is that the credit card number that is sent is fradulent. Anyone that asks you to kick back money from a credit card through wire transfer to some unknown account is simply ripping money off fradulently from a stolen credit card.

If I would run several thousand dollars worth of charges on a stolen card, and then wire the bulk of those funds to some unknown person located in some unknown place, as soon as the fradulent charge would show up on the owner's credit card and he does a charge back we are stuck with a bill for monies which we cannot recover since it has already been wired away into a black hole somewhere.

Then, there's also the leedle problem of the federales...

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from another friend

My daughter had a similar experience selling on eBay. She was selling a large item and a supposed buyer sent her money orders totalling several thousand dollars over the selling price. Then, for dubious reasons, requested that she send the difference to another person. The money orders were forgeries. This is a common scam going around the internet.

[font:Comic Sans MS] [b] We recieve these emails all the time from different email addresses. Two years ago, they said they would send a certified check. We received what looks like a certified check for $20,000.00 US via FedEx. As soon as we got it, I called the issuing bank, and before I could get the entire account number out, the woman told me it was a fake. I sent an email to the party telling them that I receieved their check and that I was turning it over to the FBI. They obviously did not respond. Now I just have a standard email that warns them not to email again, and that their email address with headers has been reported to the FBI, CIA, and whomever else I can think of at the time.

They come from different supposed travel agents, (primarily claiming to be in the UK), and are generally requesting reservations for a long period of time. The first email does not tell you they are going to "overpay" you. It is after you respond that they determine they have to pay the bodyguards, or the transportation agency, or an airline, or some bogus third party.

We framed the certified check and hung it on the wall as a reminder about these sort of emails.
[/b][/font]

Change your Latitude
Here are 2 websites with detailed email scam scambusters. Enjoy!

http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/

http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Nova #226022 01/08/07 03:04 PM
RMT Offline
Wow, interesting information. I have also received similar emails myself. Great to be aware.

Side note** if that was the address they used, well Armagh isn't in the Republic of Ireland. It's in Northern Ireland. You would think they'd have that right.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.