Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#227107 01/17/07 02:49 PM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
from a caye caulker friend

Am jarred awake at these hours of the morning by the clouds of moquitoes buzzing in my ears. It is raining buckets outside. Whenever it rains, the street outside gets flooded and it takes weeks for the water to drain causing a breeding ground lake for the insects.

I am really tired of this inept City Council that cannot get its act together. Before the UDP got in, the sanitation company under the PUP would come by regularly to clear away the drains. Not so for the past ten months. No one even cares that we live in a cesspool of mosquito breeding stagnant water. All it takes is one additional raindrop in the lake to stir the cloud of mosquitoes up. We can hardly sleep at night the buzzing fog is so thick.

=====================================
responses:

Drop some kerosene or diesel in the water. A teaspoon full used to look after a 500 gallon vat at the Caye when you were young.

======================

AND go to a Chinese supermarket or Save U and buy somehting called a VAPE MAT and the little pads it uses - They do a wonderful job of keeping the blood suckers away for about 8 hours - and they are safe to use. I sued them when I lived in Belize City across the street from you (and up a bit) ... They are wonderful.

the VAPE MAT (a little itty bitty square with a hot plate in the center - you plu it into the wall and place a mat - usuallu blue - on hte heat plate --- it initially produces a slight air freshner llike odor, and then that disappears ... ). The VAPE MAT works beautifully, and keeps the suckers away for hours. Dr. Gough (pediatrician) initally recommended it to me when I lived on the Western Highway just outside Belzie City at the time when the lagoons were still there, and the mangrove was intact --- mosquito haven! Mosquito Coils worked well, but were deadly on the babies.

==================================

Not to change the subject but can anyone advise on how to rid off scorpions? Everytime it rains, we tend to find 2 of them at least in the area of our laundry room under the washing machine in our Los Lagos home. There was a baby one in the car one night so my first thought was, "where are the parents?" I guess they try to find dry ground and they come from the bushy area located across from our home as there are no houses located there. We put the rubber strip under the doors and they still manage to get into the house. It's kinda scary especially since I have two young kids, I would not want any of these critters stinging any of us; fortunately we have not experienced a scorpion sting. That is because we have killed so many of them�brown ones, black ones etc.

==========================
Scorpions are pretty easy. Get some BOP, spray in the corners, under
book cases, etc. They will leave (and you should let 'em) or die.

Ants are something else. I like to say
"They were here long before we got here, and they'll be here long after
we're gone.

Ishmael, our yard man, was a licenced what-ever and he could get some
poison at Prosser that killed them. We did not try to kill them all. We
just wanted to keep them out of the house.

This is very difficult during the rainy season, because they want to
bring their eggs in and put them up in the overhead! If you watch them,
you will see them carrying the eggs as they come.

I used BOP to make barriers at the points where they were entering and
that works pretty well. Scrub your kitchen work areas with Chlorox (or
equiv.) They hate it.

I had several big ant hills in the very back of the yard
and they were wonderful!! They would convert Brutus' piles to brown dust!

what is bop?

Belizean chemical warfare in a can. Illegal in all 50 US states. Similar to Shelltox but has a vapor that kills all brain cells as well as bugs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,025
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.