Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#227830 - 01/23/07 09:54 AM What is the story on gun ownership?
KVarner Offline
I will be moving to Belize this summer, and I intend to stay for quite some time. I also have a lot of guns, and I really love my guns (crazy American, you know).

I know that there is a permit process, but I've also heard that a lot of guns are prohibited completley. Someone told me that you can't have a shotgun any bigger than a 16 gague. I hope that isn't the case. The lifestyle that I want on the cayes is more important to me than my gun collection, but I'd really like to know what I can have and what I can't have.

This sounds even more bizzare: I love to shoot, but I don't hunt (I'm a vegetarian). I like to shoot at targets. Is that legal anywhere in Belize?

#227834 - 01/23/07 02:23 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: KVarner]
dabunk Offline
Belizean laws are very restrictive and even harder to imoprt your own weapons. Certain calibers are totally illegal. There are a couple of shooting ranges in the country. But if you love guns and want to bring them, find another country, or leave them home in the US.

#227838 - 01/23/07 03:18 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: dabunk]
Inplub Offline
It can take up to 7 months to get a permit and will cost BZ$500 per permit per year.

#227841 - 01/23/07 03:34 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: Inplub]
spl Offline
Question, are you really a "crazy american" if you are going to move to Belize? I highly doubt it or you'd probably stay in America. If you are looking for a change of life by moving to Belize perhaps you should consider giving the guns up as you will be giving up many other things from the states.

#227842 - 01/23/07 03:35 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: spl]
spl Offline
I don't think just because you "love to shoot" justifies approving a gun there. One can say they love to shoot and are a vegetarian but they can't proove that. I think you need more of a reason otherwise anyone would have a gun there.

#227852 - 01/23/07 05:48 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: spl]
dabunk Offline
And that is 500 per permit per weapon. A single shot 20 gauge sells for over 500 BZE. 9 mil only allowed pistol caliber. 16 and 20 gauge shotgun and forget rifles altogether.

#227856 - 01/23/07 06:20 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: dabunk]
Amanda Syme Offline
I don't think you can get a permit until you are an approved legal resident of Belize. You certainly won't be able to have a gun "collection." Yes, it takes many months to obtain permit approval.

You can join the rifle and gun clubs which are all located on the main land if you want to fulfil you love of shooting.

There are very few safe spots to shot on the caye.

Probably you should keep you gun collection in the US and visit it once if while.

You could take up virtual/internet shooting!!

#227857 - 01/23/07 06:36 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: Amanda Syme]
dabunk Offline
You can get a gune permit without residency, I know several people who have done it legally.

#227863 - 01/23/07 06:54 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: dabunk]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
Gun permits are not so hard to obtain. Unless you are connected you are normally allowed one sidearm for personal protection (validated), 9mm or smaller and a hunting permit can be obtained for shotguns and/or small rifles. Some red tape is required.

You may want to consider opening a paint ball course/battleground up the coast on leased property.

SIN

#227871 - 01/23/07 07:40 PM Re: What is the story on gun ownership? [Re: Sir Isaac Newton]
KVarner Offline
I guess my AR-15 and AK-47 (that I built myself!) are going to have to stay with my parents. I can play with them on vacations.
But..

Originally Posted By: Sir Isaac Newton
Gun permits are not so hard to obtain. ...Unless you are connected...

SIN

Who do I have to pay to become "connected"?

Am I right to assume that the 9mm sidearm means that I'd be able to carry a 9mm concealed?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (buktoff, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,064 Topics
462,323 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.