Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses
BelizeNews.com BelizeSearch.com BelizePhotographs.com Lodging

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Inexperienced boat captains may think that going out in a lightning storm is a calculated risk. No matter what you may think, lightning is NO JOKE. It will find you and it will likley end up fatal.

Sometimes these situations are unavoidable. Even the most responsible and experienced crews can find themselves in the middle of a storm. Last summer, folks aboard a dive boat out of Caye Caulker learned that lightning storms can turn into a nightmare in no time. A Belizean park ranger lost his life that day and numerous others were injured. Here is a vivid blog entry from a guy who was on the boat:

http://www.travelblog.org/Central-America-Caribbean/Belize/Caye-Caulker/blog-71394.html

If you thought it was OK to drive into a storm, this might change your mind.

wow, Thanks for the heads up. Something you don't think of normally.

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Why this post now? Has there been another incident?

OP Offline
I just found the blog link today... not sure if it was posted before. No more incidents that I know of.

L
L
Although it is good to know the dangers of lightning is it really necessary to post the story at this point and time?

Good info. Thanks.

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
In 1998 in Palau we were caught an hour from land getting ready to do a night dive when a lighting storm descended on us. The dive master had us all get in the water and go down immediately. By the time we finished the dive the storm had passed. We were lucky.
I live here in Belize and remember when this terrible accident of yours happened. Unfortunately we never receive thorough reports such as yours. I appreciate you writing it and someone revisting it.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Diving off Miami a few years ago I surfaced into an electrical storm. Too dangerous to try to get onto the boat so had to stay in the water, submerged.

I also regret the near absence of comprehensive incident reports and welcome them when they do appear.

Thanks Knck,
I also welcome incident reports like this. Most people don't think this could happen to them.

Last edited by J DOG; 01/25/07 08:18 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 261 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day