Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228073 01/24/07 09:45 PM
OP Offline
Okay gang someone sent me a Repbublican diatribe. See the original message and my response below...

Subject: Democrat TAX PLAN Explained!

If you don't understand the Democrats' version of tax refunds, maybe this will help explain it:
50,000 people go to a baseball game, but the game was rained out. A refund was then due.
The team was about to mail refunds when a group of Congressional Democrats stopped them and suggested that they send out the ticket refunds based on the Democrat National Committee's interpretation of fairness.
Originally the refunds were to be paid based on the price each person had paid for the tickets. Unfortunately that meant most of the refund money would be going to the ticket holders that had purchased the most expensive tickets.
This, according to the DNC, is considered totally unfair. A decision was then made to pay out the refunds in this manner:
People in the $10 seats will get back $15. After all, they have less money to spend on tickets to begin with. Call it an "Earned Income Ticket Credit."
Persons "earn" it by having few skills, poor work habits, and low ambition, thus keeping them at entry-level wages.
People in the $25 seats will get back $25, because it "seems fair."
People in the $50 seats will get back $1, because they already make a lot of money and don't need a refund. After all, if they can afford a $50 ticket, they must not be paying enough taxes.
People in the $75 luxury box seats will each have to pay an additional $25 because it's the "right thing to do."
People walking past the stadium that couldn't afford to buy a ticket for the game each will get a $10 refund, even though they didn't pay anything for the tickets. They need the most help. Sometimes this is known as Affirmative Action.
Now do you understand?
If not, contact Representative Nancy Pelosi, Senator Ted Kennedy or Senator Hillary Clinton for assistance.

------------------------

To which I responded...

What's good for the goose...

Using the same analogy, here's the Republican Tax plan.

Instead of rescheduling the rained out game, a practice typically employed, Republicans insist on refunding the tickets -- because, after all, it's THEIR money.
This is all good until the Republican owner starts spending money on new pitching machines, weight equipment, and free agents. With no revenue from ticket sales, deficits soar and the team winds up passing costs down to the state-owned concession stands. When new games resume after the rain-out, team program costs rise by 80%. This is bad enough, but then the Republican owner decides to build a bridge from the stadium parking lot to -- no where. No one can explain why the Republican owner needs a bridge to nowhere or how it aids the team, but he builds it anyway. Then, the TRULY unexpected happens. The Republican owner claims that the rival team in another city is using "steroids of body mass construction." The commissioner of the United Baseball League refuses to step in, so the Republican owner takes matters into his own hands. The Republican owner sends his highly trained baseball players into the opposing stadium. But, instead of playing baseball as they were trained, they wind-up squared-off in a battle of the grid-iron. The Republican owner seemed shocked that his rival plays football. When questioned, he says "everyone can appreciate baseball, we just need time." Without the right equipment, they get their heads bashed in. The owner spends billions of dollars battling a football team with baseball players. In the end, YOU still have to go to the game. Tickets are 50 cents to get in -- for everyone -- but by the time you pay for state-run parking, hot dogs, soda, and a program, the game cost you $3,487.16. You find yourself wising they'd have just rescheduled the rain-out.

From your friendly neighborhood libertarian wink

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
S
S

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
that should be www.braindeadleftists.com

This site is a boomerang site Jesse, takes you right back to where you came from....no where!

That 'bridge to nowhere" reference is cute. You are aware, I assume, that all of this useless pork that gets added into everything is to buy votes or payback someone for their vote. that plus the absence of a line item veto. This is not specifically a republican problem, it has been going on since politics began. Politics is the oldest profession, don't get it confused with the second oldest profession, which came into being to service the oldest profession.

Also, if I pay the kid next door $10 bucks to mow my lawn, and he doesn't because of whatever, give me my $$ back. If he then chooses to buy another lawn mower or two, and defaults because he lost my $10 income, he is an idiot and deserves to fold his tent.

Bottom line, enough crap to go around.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
OP Offline
good point Bobber. I'm against a line item veto because it gives legislative power to the executive branch. However, I do like the idea of executive line item "referral" where the specific pork needs to come-up for a vote on its own merits in order to be included in the proposed legislation.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Amen Otter. I would like these items to be highlighted on the media also. A little advertising never hurt anybody, right? In this case, it might.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
T
T
truth be told, in the original message the real reason the game was called----our president was running out or military types to send to iraq, so...

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.