Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#228280 - 01/26/07 11:14 PM MONEY !!!
ericinsc Offline
We are booked for our first trip in June, and I was wondering about the cash supply situation. We have used various methods in different locations..what is best for San Pedro ? Usually we bring some cash, use an ATM (NOT debit or credit)card some, and bring a plentiful supply of traveler's checks as an emergency back-up.
Do ATM cards work there?
Do any places take traveler's checks? Will the banks cash Traveler's checks? Is it a difficult process if they do?(In Mexico, it could take an hour or more).
With cash, can 100 $ bills be used?

#228283 - 01/26/07 11:20 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: ericinsc]
dabunk Offline
Stick to tens and twenties unlees you want to pay your hotel bill with hundreds.

#228284 - 01/26/07 11:21 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: ericinsc]
737Pilot Offline
We always take traveler's check and some larger bills of cash. We have no problem cashing or exchanging them at the front desk of Banana beach. Some local venders are picky about the TC. When shopping or at local restaurants, we usually use our debit card. Just make sure that you have the 800# to your bank, in case you lose it! We've used the ATM a couple of times, and have had no problem.

Have a great time!

#228285 - 01/26/07 11:23 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: 737Pilot]
Kra-Z-K Offline
yep never had problems with 50s and 100s being exchanged. The ATMs work fine and charge $5.

#228297 - 01/26/07 11:45 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: Kra-Z-K]
mountain Larry Offline
I have responded to this same question in the past and recommended travelers checks because they have some protection and can be cashed easily at the money exchange. Someone then wrote in to inform me that the money exchange doesn't exisit any longer but having been there last week I can tell you it does. Milos on Middle Street I believe. They will also give you the exact exchange which is slighty higher than the standard 2 for 1.

#228299 - 01/26/07 11:47 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: mountain Larry]
Amanda Syme Offline
Make sure you tell you issuing bank that you are travelling overseas or they might automatically block your credit and debit cards.

#228340 - 01/27/07 05:11 AM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: Amanda Syme]
KVarner Offline
I have always found traveler's checks to be inconvenient. I like brining some cash and having a couple of debit cards (in case one gets lost, I still have another one).

I don't know about in Belize, but in general, $50 and $100 bills are look on with suspicion because of a lot of counterfeiting going on in the developing world.

#228341 - 01/27/07 05:24 AM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: KVarner]
Kerri_Canada Offline
i always bring some US cash (smaller bills) with me and use my debit or credit card to take out money at the atm.

#228374 - 01/27/07 05:44 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: Kerri_Canada]
spl Offline
I don't think the size bill matter, I always travel there with larger bills.

#228377 - 01/27/07 06:24 PM Re: MONEY !!! [Re: spl]
J DOG Offline
Bring cash & lots of it, I bring about $200us per day, most nice places have room safes, never had a problem with large bills, remember everytime you use a credit card they charge you a foreign transaction fee & it can add up real fast.
Most places don't accept American Express either.
You can never take too much cash, you can always bring it home, seem's like I always come home broke though!!
You never have to stand in line at Milos.
4 MO SLEEPS for the DOG!!

p.s. I like your Avator

Edited by J DOG (01/27/07 06:29 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
4 registered (Pokey, Marty, 2 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,676 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,079 Topics
462,376 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.