Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Joely Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello... I am looking for any information on the Caye Caulkers Elementary School. I am considering moving to there and I have a 6 year old son. How would it be being a kid on Caye Caulker??
Thanks!!

Last edited by Joely; 03/01/07 11:17 PM.

jd
C
C
I would love to be a kid here. The educational standard here is lower than elsewhere. Their is a Canadian teacher here that does tutoring. Their s also a private school in San Pedro The Island Acadamy. It will be hard for your child to go back if you leave here and be at the same grade level. Ex, if he comletes 6th grade here he will have a hard time testing at that grade level elsewhere. The curriculum is just different,he may be at 4th grade level after 6th here.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
J
Joely Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for responding... I would move to the island without hesitation if I was not resoponsible for someone else. :-) Is the private school in San Pedro somthing a first grader could get to on his own? I have to say that as a child growing up in paradise wouln't be bad. Are there lots of childern on the island?
What are your thoughts on The Tropics Hotel?

jd
C
C
There are LOTS of children here. No problem with playmates. The Tropics Hotel is very nice. The grounds and beach are clean. It has a great restaurant as far as apperance but much more could be done with it. It is a bit out of the Village so it does not get as much business, good for the quiet of the rooms and grounds, not good for the restaurant. With a little creativity the customer count could be improved. My neighbor just stopped by, I am not sure why you are asking about the Tropics, it is for sale, and I dont like to dump on any business on this site but you should have it inspected if you are interested in purchase. It is mostly all wood.
I dont know if there are any older children from here going to The Island Academy or not. Kids use the water taxi and do get a discount on fare.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Joely, just be prepared for anything. Every child is different, obviously. I know a couple who moved to the island (SP) with their 5 year old and the kido was miserable so they ended up going back to the states just after 1 short year and them both having decent jobs. The kido just missed her relatives terribly and it made life very difficult for the parents. However, I'm sure that it's different for everyone.

Not trying to be discouraging but rather reminding you to be open-minded. smile

Good luck! smile

J
Joely Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input... There is alot to think about making a move to and island. I know I would love it and I think he would too! I figure the only way to know might be to try. He is very used to change and is quite outgoing so it just might work!

Do you know if there is any sort of problems with being an "outsider" as a child on the island?

Is Caye Caulker as cool as it looks and seems from all the information I can find on line.

Anything to watch out for??

jd
From what I can tell, "outsiders" as children, are very welcome on the island. However, this is coming from a frequent visitor, not a resident. I'm sure others will have more information. However, I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

So you've never actually been to Caye Caulker? Have you been to San Pedro or Belize - in general?

J
Joely Offline OP
OP Offline
J
No... I have not been yet. I have been researching buying a resort and have come across Belize as a good option. I plan on making a trip soon to shop and explore.

jd
When do you plan to visit?

There's plenty to explore but not much shopping. I love it when friends ask me if I can bring them some silver jewelry back. It's not Mexico, folks! Ha! smile

T
T
Hi Joely,

We should talk. I'm a teacher at Island Academy, and I can tell you what you need to know about education in Caye Caulker and San Pedro. At the very least, I can send you the link to my classroom website so you can see what the standards are for my first graders here.

email me at [email protected]

Best Regards,
Jennifer

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 334 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day