Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#23143 - 06/20/00 02:56 AM expensive?August?
rosepillo Offline
I have been to Costa Rica and loved it. Belize looks very interesting to me also. I am a student and do not have alot of disposable funds. Are there inexpensive clean places to stay? I was looking to go to Ambergris and Caulker-are these good spots to go to relax on the beach(I've never snorkled, but I would give it a shot. I do enjoy fishing however) My main concerns are expense and wheather or not August is good time to go to the islands. I seem to be getting conflicting info about the cost of lodging. Also when I went to Costa Rica I did not make any reservations. We just drove to where we wanted to go and got hotels then. Is that possible to do in the cayes? What would you estimate a couple spending for 7 nights in August? What is the best place to fly into and what is the best (or cheapest) way to get to the cayes? Help!!!

#23144 - 06/20/00 03:34 AM Re: expensive?August?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I first went to Costa Rica in 1982 when a beer at a top hotel was 15 cents, and a meal in a top restaurant was $2 or $3, but in recent years, Costa Rica has become fairly expensive. Certainly at the top end hotels in Costa Rica are as expensive or more so than similar accommodations in Belize.

Costa Rica does have more budget-level accommodations than Belize, but in most areas of Belize you can find good, safe accommodations for under US$25 a night. (I just did the update for Belize for UpClose Central America guide, formerly Berkeley Guide, so I know there are plenty of decent budget places.)

Your best bets for inexpensive lodging are on Caye Caulker (where lots of places are under US$25), Placencia Village on the mainland in Stann Creek district, Tobacco Caye, and also San Ignacio in Cayo District, but there are affordable places in every town and area. Ambergris Caye has the fewest budget places, and some of these have recently closed or have been upgraded, but there are still four or five.

In August, which is low season, you should have no problems with accommodations without reservations.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

#23145 - 06/22/00 04:19 AM Re: expensive?August?
Chloe Offline
I too first visited Costa Rica, and loved it,
until I found Belize, now I will only return to Belize especially to Ambergris, then I hope I can tear myself away, to visit all the other wonderful places in Belize.
You can still find some cheap small places in San Pedro on Ambergris. Then spend your time on beach and in the water.

#23146 - 06/22/00 03:17 PM Re: expensive?August?
Jenn Offline
I too, have truble tearing myself off the island once I get there! Ruby's Hotel is on the beach and VERY affordable. Check out the lodging page at www.ambergriscaye.com for info. Have fun!

#23147 - 06/22/00 07:07 PM Re: expensive?August?
silkpainter Offline
I have to second the vote for Rubies. Its so cheap its almost free. We stayed there in April and will go back again anytime. Their deli opens at 6 a.m. with fresh yummies.
http://www.caribbean-colors.com

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,670 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,006 Topics
462,169 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.