Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231844 - 03/08/07 11:59 AM International Women’s Day
Marty Offline
I would like to wish all our brilliant women on this board a “Happy International Women’s Day”. The theme for this year’s very important day is “Improving cervical cancer prevention: making every girl count”. Here is hoping that everyone will have a wonderful day!!

#231847 - 03/08/07 12:23 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: Marty]
NYgal Offline
Thank you Marty smile

#231849 - 03/08/07 12:35 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: NYgal]
OK Marty, since you opened that can of worms, where do the ladies on this board stand as to the Governor of Texas "requiring" females (9-26) to receive the Human Papillomavirus Caccine? (Just curious, seeking opinions not attacks)

#231858 - 03/08/07 02:13 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: ]
Kra-Z-K Offline
I think it is absolutely a good idea. I am not sure one should be "required" to get a shot but it is a good idea. You are required to get other shots as a child to enter school I thought in some areas and this one only helps and prevents something very serious and common.

#231859 - 03/08/07 02:41 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: Kra-Z-K]
sweetjane Offline
while i am not informed enough to make a judgement call on this, R, i am a fan of long-term studies before making a vaccine required. in theory, assuming there are no side effects conditions, i am all for it. i read this recently, and passing it on. it is not necessarily my opinion, but someone else's:

I don't think it's a bad idea if this vaccine does all of what they say - but that being said I think it's far too early to be requiring something that we don't fully know all the side effects of. This vaccine has only been out for less than a year and there are no long term follow up studies on the potential side effects. So to require it could have devastating effects if there is something that they haven't found yet. They didn't know that birth control pills caused certain side effects for years. They didn't know that Wellbutrin caused seizure disorders in some people for over 5 years. ANd to force a large portion of the population to be Guinea Pigs for potential future side effects is opening themselves up to a huge mess in the future if something happens.

Remember the Thalidomide babies of the 50's and 60's because they didn't know the side effects and gave it to pregnant women and then found out it caused horrible birth defects. They need more long term research.

#231860 - 03/08/07 02:41 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: Kra-Z-K]
Chloe Offline
Living in Texas, I absolutely agree with the Governor, on this one.
Dare To Deviate

#231861 - 03/08/07 02:48 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: Chloe]
Kra-Z-K Offline
anyone 26 and under I highly recommend getting this, look into it for your own safety and health. It is a huge topic right now on the radios in the morning and been discusing it with my close friend who is a doctor. It does not protect against all strands of HPV, however it does protect against many of the serious strands. Further, HPV can still be spread with the use of condoms and therefore I find it very important to do what you can to protect against the virus. The virus you have for life once you get it. It may or may not affect you, but it is with you forever. It is very important people learn about what this is, how it is caused/spread, and how many people have it. Get Vaccinated.

Edited by Kra-Z-K-VIKINGS (03/08/07 02:53 PM)

#231862 - 03/08/07 02:49 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: Chloe]
divingcowgirl Offline
I think it's a good idea, but I still think more research needs to be done. What are the side-effects of this vaccine? It wouldn't hurt to do more research while letting people make up their own minds and not be "required" to take the shot, but if we find out in later studies that it is safe w/ little or no side effects, then yes, I'd say do it.
Take the road less traveled

#231876 - 03/08/07 04:28 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: divingcowgirl]
Barbara K Offline
All vaccines have side effects, usually worse than the disease itself. They are just huge money makers for big Pharm. Have NOTHING to do with prevention of disease. Just like "modern" allopathic (regular) medicine has NOTHING to do with CURE of disease (no $$ in cure). Watch the amount of autism cases go up in Belize now that we are sending them our old vaccines with thimerisol (mercury) preservatives that have been banned in this country (and pharm can no longer be sued for vaccine related cases thanks to a little insert into the "patriot" act.) Don't get me started on this topic....
If anyone is interested in details email me. I won't get into it more here but would be glad to discuss with anyone SERIOUS about their health. My "other" passion...

#231878 - 03/08/07 04:39 PM Re: International Women’s Day [Re: Barbara K]
indygal Offline
Since you do not catch cervical cancer from someone else and you can not pass it on, the law seems a bit intrusive to me. Another government body sticking it's nose where it does not belong. I do not know if the vacine is good or not, just do not like the big brother approach.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,635 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,718 Topics
461,262 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.