Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
reaper Offline OP
OP Offline
In honor of my pal the "Happy Cappy", I thought a food review from last month would be in order.

My 17 days all started with a little mix up with Jeff and Vivian at Rojo Lounge. I had been anxiously waiting to take Mrs. Reaper and a group of friends there for a while. Another party of 30 had booked the same night and they thought it was my group. It was all sort of comical and not a big deal. We called Portofino and they sent a boat for us that evening. It was many of the folks in my groups first time in Belize. They were amazed first of all that we were taking a boat to dinner! The Portofino is a lovely place, and stunning at night! It is a fantastic setting. The food, the service and the hosts were all top notch! It was a great evening enjoyed by 26 of us. Thanks Short and MBE! And Jeff and Vivian...we'll do it another time!

The Blue Water Grill is one of my favorite places to eat on the island. Yes, I am biased! Kelly and Chris treat my family like royalty! They hosted the welcoming dinner again this year for 160 of us! It was the largest party they had ever hosted for dinner and it was fantastic! The food was tremendous. I tried most of the seafood on the menu during our stay and it is great. Breakfast is tasty and the coffee is good. If you are strolling by in the evening you should stop in just to get a slice of their key lime pie! It is heaven on a plate! I'm also addicted to the shrimp sticks and black bean sauce!

After 6 years of visiting the island we finally ditched the ankle biters and had a date at Casa Picasso! It was all I had heard about it. The food was tasty and the Mojitos went down easy! Mrs. Reaper had the Bananas Picasso for dessert...it was embarassing as she was licking the plate clean!(just kidding you guys!) We'll be back for sure!

We took a golf cart ride all the way up north to check on Corona Steve's empire and the bridge to Mexico! The road north still sucks but it is a great family adventure. We all hum the "Indiana Jones" theme song as we hit the ruts with the golf cart! Nerdy but great fun for the 8 year old..Ok, and me too!
We stopped at Tranquility Bay, the farthest north resort, for lunch. They serve the best burger and fries on the island! And it's a great spot to snorkel, the reef is so close! The beach is very clean also! I highly recommend a lunch trip there for the adventurous among us, or take a boat. And the folks that work there are incredibly nice!

Pedro's Inn...where would a food report be without a pizza review??? I have to admit, it's really good. Walter and Maggie know what they're doing! The kids like it too, and that's as good as a recommendation as it gets! We also tried Pasta La Vista...we miss Pauly...we also wanted to try Pirate Pizza but they were closed each time we went by.

Caliente...one of my favorite places to eat. They make this Maya Mar corn sauce that is so good...you could put it on a flip flop and it would taste great! A couple of the skydivers caught a 350lb shark during the boogie and Caliente's chef cooked it up as shark kabobs! It was delicious!

Mangos...what a great little place to have dinner! Chef Amy does a fantastic job. The food is tremendous! Don't miss it!

Fast food row...still a great place to catch a good quick cheap meal!

Coco's...no, not like the ones in the states! It's a little family run joint behind Richies Supermarket. What a great place to have lunch! Fresh fish just caught every day. Very yummy stuff!

Estels...still my favorite place for breakfast in the world! And you can usually find out everything going on in town there also! Just one word...fryjacks!

The Red Door Cafe(I don't know the real name?)...it's right across the street from Tropic Air's terminal. The food is wonderful and cheap! Breakfast is really nice and the tacos for lunch are tasty. This is a locals place and also where you can find out who's doing what to whom on the island!

That's just my quick 2 cents worth...the rest of the board members should chime in here and let us know your favorites last month!

Last edited by reaper; 03/01/07 04:04 AM.
thanks Reaper -- I don't know what makes me want to go back more, the weather or the food.

Do make it to Rojo -- it was fabulous. Jeff tripped all over himself to make me happy when I said I was supposed to be with your group that night. You could tell he legitimately felt horrible.

Can't wait for Boogie IV!!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Reaper, this is an excellent food report! I totally agree with you on your suggestions and just reading your report makes me want to go back even sooner!

I too love Blue Water! It's just an all-around great place!

Thanks for posting!

See you Feb. '08!

XOXOXO

L
L
Wow, now I am hungry!

Rojo is one of my best all time dining experiences ever. I could never imagine myself being "lobstered out", but it did happen!

What about Papi's? Papi makes me happy.

Hon Offline
I'm sorry to report that IMO Papi's, one of my all time favourites, went down hill this year.

We went one night and they had no beer or squash to make rum punch, they had run out of lobster, the fish tasted 'fishy' (possibly several days old) and the fried chicken was underdone to the point that I sent it back for another 15 minutes (I specified) of cooking.

To top it all off, there was no running water in the washroom, which smelled really funky, even by AC standards.

To be fair, four nights later it was raining so we ordered take out and, even though there was no lobster again, the fish and chicken was like the Papi's that we loved from previous years.

This year we enjoyed excellent, inexpensive food at The Reef and Ambergris Delight and, at a little more expensive, Caramba and Celi's. The most delicious food we ate over the entire two weeks were the $20BZ lobster burritos at Waraguma. I could have eaten them for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for the duration.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Caliente's Caliente's Caliente's

Dare To Deviate
i promised to put in a plug for breakfast at monkey bites. it was by far the yummiest breakfast we had, and sat beachfront. all made to perfection, and very good coffee too (caye coffee). it doesnt get any better than that. make sure to check it out. waraguma's shrimp cevich and lobster burrito are worth a high recommendation as well.

Reaper my brother ,you did me proud.Great report,it will be a hard act to follow.. I miss sanpedro be,back in a few weeks ..Next year I am going to be there to hang with you all whats the date??...

Living The Dream Every Day!
reaper Offline OP
OP Offline
Feb.23-March3...BE THERE!!!!

You did not mention the fabulous spiced pecans I made for you in your culinary review. govikes would have given you big money for that bag : )

Time flys - have fun!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.