Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#232042 03/10/07 09:16 PM
S
OP Offline
S
There are a couple of scooter-mounted traffic wardens on patrol now...stopping people driving with beers, and other various violations. Heres hoping they can do something about the taxi drivers!!!

Ponch and John on patrol! CHiPS!
maybe they can do something about the cars driving like they are in the Indy 500 (SP 1.5?). At least the taxi's are tryin to make a buck (still wrong and annoying) but the damn cars just like to show off.

Lara you are on the money .. Why is it most of the cars have dark tinted windows,and and play boom ,boom music very loud. the drivers think they are so cool ????and a car is sign of success?? boy are they in for a life awakening when they leave the island..

Last edited by captjeff; 03/12/07 10:29 AM.

Living The Dream Every Day!
boom boom? :P

S
OP Offline
S
The kids in New Jersey don't do this?

L
L
I dunno, personally I think the taxis are the worst. They are impatient, often rude, and on many occasions, dangerous. Last week my delivery boy was put off his bicycle into the ditch by an over zealous taxi driver trying to make a buck. The young man was also trying to earn his wage, and he shouldn't have to put up with that behaviour. He was the second person in the same day to tell me that a taxi ran them off the road, the other being a female tourist on the island who was rather upset about the incident.

On New Years Eve at 5pm, (daylight) my friend was jogging with his dog on one of the few wide and decent sections of road here and a taxi driver hit the dog at high speed throwing him 30 feet down the street. While he did not slow down or stop, he did actually swerve to avoid hitting the dying animal a second time :-(
The outcome would have been the same whether it was a dog or a or a toddler walking with a parent or an unsteady child on a bicycle.

The taxis congregate by the apartment where I live in order to get fares from the club. When the club lets out and they get their fares, they spray the entire area with gravel and rocks from their tires, hit the fences and personal golf carts parked there and peel out like feverish little demons. My neighbour has called numerous people to complain in the last month. It is one of the reasons I am moving to another apartment.

Unfortunately these are not isolated incidents. I see erratic driving from the taxis every day, passing 2, 3, and 4 carts at once with total disregard for the oncoming traffic. Trying to drive around the sleeping policemen to avoide braking. Cutting around the traffic circle the wrong way. Motoring at top speed throwing up as much dust as they can all the while blowing kisses or yelling rudely at the people they are passing because we don't look particularly pleased with them.

Personally, I like the motto on Caye Calker....."Go Slow".....

i have to agree that the taxi's have become more aggressive in the last months, however, in small defense of the cab drivers overall, the ones that are aggressive, nasty and horrible, seem to me to be the ones that just come to the island for tourist season. again, just my observations, but the REALLY REALLY bad ones, are not faces i recognize from slow season.

and lets not forget that they also cat call...the ones that dont know you that is. thats how i know they are newer.

Funny, Lara, but I NEVER get catcalls from taxi drivers on the island!! Must be something about you!! wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
S
S
Most of the taxis you see are owned by the largest San Pedrano families. As we see more development here, we unfortunately will see more and more vehicles and industrial equipment. Either more golf carts and vehicle permits will be issued or if this is restricted (as the island is flooded with personal vehicles) more taxis will be required as the island spreads farther to the north and south.

Expect the streets to be more and more conjested on a regular basis as we continue to grow.

San Pedro was a small fishing village with a few divers in it not too long ago. Something a lot of us miss (a lot) and a something a bunch of folks didn't ever get to see. It was never planned out for such growth.

Many challenges lie ahead for the SPTC.

SIN

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Jesse ,not all driver's are kids?? and yes kids play loud muisc in new jersey ,still I do not like it..

Living The Dream Every Day!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.