Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stephi Offline OP
OP Offline
Just looking for suggestions for our November trip. As a visitor since 1989, we have seen a lot - Ian & Tangie Anderson at Caves Branch are great friends, and so are Tom & Josie Harding up at Chan Chich. Mama Noots is a newer friend. We have been north and south and all in between. Can anyone suggest a different place. We are intersted incomfortable, but not "Posh". As an anthropologist and an entomologist, we do like to explore. We always end up after the Main land on Ambergris Caye. Any suggestions for new on main land?

[This message has been edited by Stephi (edited 07-01-2000).]

Stephi G
Frequent Belize Traveler
Since 1989
R
R
Stephi,
You might want to investigate a place called "Pooks Hill" located in the Cayo district next to 1000+ acre reserve. The owners are Ray and Vicky Snaddon. I don't have any more info, maybe other readers on this board can comment. I have visited as a friend, but never spent the night. So, I can't be a judge of there accomodations. Fantastic rain forest and they did have an Iguana breeding program. We were the recipients of some of the critters for re-eastablishment around
our Creek (Garbut Creek).Take care
Rod Allen

Rod, do you happen to know a nice young man about 26 yrs old, named Furlong Usher on his family's farm in Cayo District? Met him here in Houston US and wondering if he made it back home ok, driving back through Mexico.
Thanks

Dare To Deviate
R
R
Chloe,
There are alot of Usher's around and his name does not ring a bell, but I can ask some friends in Georgeville..
Also, many people have nicknames here that have nothing in common with their real name. i.e. Sugar Jones (Rushford Jones) with a name like your aquaintance's....I'll bet he has a nick name and chances are I may know who he is.Later
Rod

Thanks a million Rod. We met him on the flight back to Houston, had the most wonderful conversation. He is so bright,and well educated and most wonderful gentleman we have ever met. He was coming to Houston to buy the family a used pickup truck, I gave him my business card, since he would be driving within a few blocks of our home in South Texas. Being grandparents, we decided to worry about him. Laugh If you locate him say hi for the this Old couple.

Dare To Deviate
M
M
I have stayed at Pook's Hill a couple nights. Went hiking and caving and enjoyed some interesting conversation. Learned a bit about insects and reptiles of the jungle and most specifically the iguanas. They are great. We sponsored one in the breeding program so one of these years I'll get notice that my iguana is running around. I highly recommend. The coolest part was listening to the screams from the other huts when a scorpion was "discovered" at night. They never visited us, only a few frogs. Don't be put off by that though. The accomodations were outstanding and the Snaddons are fantastic hosts.

[This message has been edited by mrdrewsmith (edited 07-02-2000).]

R
R
Chloe,

Furlong Usher has his farm on Young Gail
Road in Teakettle Village. Teakettle is about 8 mile east of me. I talked to his daughter(?) ten minutes ago and she said he made it back ok. He was out visiting in Burrel Boom and was expected back later in the evening. I asked some friends of mine about Furlong and they happened to be cousins . His phone is:...... 501-08-20560.
Rod
OH!!!, The turn off to Pooks Hill is in the same village(Teakettle) on the Western
Highway. Turn South for Pooks Hill and turn north for Youg Gail Road.

[This message has been edited by Rod Allen (edited 07-02-2000).]

Rod, You are terrific, we sure appreciate your time and efforts, to make contact with the Usher family. Hope I can help you with some information one day. Thanks again for going the extra mile.

Dare To Deviate
I second Rod's suggestion of Pook's Hill.

If you want a different area, you might look at Fallen Stones just north of PG. It's near the Lubanntun ruins. Beautiful views into Guatemala from the lodge. The main business here is a butterfly farm. When I was last there a couple of months ago the owner, Ray Halberd, had about 3,000 blue morphos flying on one rooms -- amazing sight.

You've probably already been there but Lamanai Outpost has one of the nicest settings of any jungle lodge, right on the New River Lagoon and near the Lamanai ruins.

And of course Ek'Tun on the Macal River up toward Black Rock. Certainly tops in the small lodge department.

--Lan Sluder

Lan Sluder/Belize First
http://www.belizefirst.com
We stayed at duPlooy's in the Cayo district. It's got a FABULOUS botanical garden, and the grounds are outstanding. The accomodations and food were super!!!! It sits right on the Macal River and is absolutely beautiful. Just next door to it is a very wonderful herb garden place, called "The Farm" as far as I know. They have classes and workshops there on ancient Mayan herbal medicine. The woman that runs it studied with a very old Mayan Indian for years who was over 100 when he passed. She's written a book, and I bought it, but haven't had five minutes to sit down and read it since we got back. If you're interested further, let me know and I'll bring in the book and give you some more information. Debbie

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.