Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234121 - 04/02/07 12:00 AM want to sponsor a student
libbymim Offline
I am very interested in sponsoring a student who cannot afford the school fees/books/uniforms either on the grammar school or high school level on Ambergris Caye. I met several young children on a recent visit who are too poor to attend school. Does anyone know of such a scholarship fund or sponsorship program at any of the schools? Also, I cannot seem to find an email address for the San Pedro Roman Catholic School, though I did find one for St. Peters. Does anyone have that? Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

#234130 - 04/02/07 03:29 AM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: libbymim]
wannaBEthere Offline
Hi Libbymim,

I'd like to offer a suggestion for yet another school to consider when offering a donation. Holy Cross Anglican School just opened last fall and are providing an education to many kids who would, or who have, gone without. I don’t believe that they’re set-up for sponsoring a child, but would welcome any kind of donation. Just do a search above for "Holy Cross" and you should get lots of hits. It's truly a remarkable story how a dream became a reality.

#234132 - 04/02/07 05:01 AM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: wannaBEthere]
scubawalk Offline
My wife and I moved to San Pedro a year and a half ago. Holy Cross School was just a dream. Francis Wilson started construction on August 1 and in 30 days had 3 class rooms up and running. The school now offers free education, breakfast, snack and lunch to over 160 students and they expect 300 students by next fall. Having volunteered with the school for the last few months, I can think of no better investment of your money to help create a future for these young students. Whether it is a specific scholarship or a general donation, Francis will put the money to good work.

Contact her at:
franciswilsonbelize@yahoo.com

#234133 - 04/02/07 06:35 AM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: scubawalk]
spl Offline
or if you dream of sponsoring an individual child that is wonderful! Do what you feel is best. I think Holy Cross just got a $13 K BZ donation from a wonderful group along with many, many individual donations.

#234136 - 04/02/07 12:52 PM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: spl]
wannaBEthere Offline
Sooo many kids, so many needs. Your heart will guide you. Here's a thought, host a "pizza party" for family and friends, charge a small fee, and you'll have more $$ for the kids.

#234137 - 04/02/07 12:56 PM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: wannaBEthere]
wannaBEthere Offline
Oops ... meant to include this link. Here's some info with phone numbers, down at the bottom of the page.

http://www.moes.gov.bz/Directory/Bze/page08.htm

Edited by wannaBEthere (04/02/07 01:00 PM)

#234138 - 04/02/07 12:59 PM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: wannaBEthere]
Nova Offline
Hi Libbymim,

If you got to the first thread in this category, you can link to the San Pedro Daily and see a letter from Francis Wilson. It details the expenses of running Holy Cross School and will give you a better idea of what is provided for each of the children, and the costs involved. The need is huge, but the payoff, in the long run, is much bigger. We just need to take care of this generation, and they, in turn, will take care of the future.

#234148 - 04/02/07 03:31 PM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: Nova]
Cooper Offline
Did you know their are quite a few children on Caye Caulker who dont get to go to school past 6th grade, Because we have no school beyound that! The children have to go to Belize City or San Pedro, more families could do that except each child has to pay $10 a day for water taxi fare. Alot of families have several children which makes this amount prohibitive. Soon as season is over, Easter. We are going to put efforts togather to see what funds can be raised and what families could benifit . anyone interested can email me through ifo on my profile.

#234149 - 04/02/07 03:48 PM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: spl]
spl Offline
Originally Posted By: spl
or if you dream of sponsoring an individual child that is wonderful! Do what you feel is best. I think Holy Cross just got a $13 K BZ donation from a wonderful group along with many, many individual donations.

No clue how to modify my post so I will add to it. I just found out from an old post that this school is or was in very high need of many things. Donate direct to the school if you are interested, and if you have your heart set on an individual child go with your heart.

#234322 - 04/04/07 03:13 AM Re: want to sponsor a student [Re: spl]
tacogirl Offline
smile smile smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,047 Topics
462,273 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.