Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#234218 04/02/07 11:38 PM
T
TamTam Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I was wondering if other people who visit always get covered in bug bites? When I was there in Feb me and all of my friends were terribly itchy and I would like to prevent that, if at all possible, when I return in May. I was told baby oil was the only solution but being covered in oil gets too greasy and the sand really sticks to ya!! HELP.......

JZB Offline
I also have problems with bites so if you find something better, please let me know!
If you don't want to slather up in baby oil, wear long sleeves and pants (preferably linen), don't stand around where there is no wind and be sure to keep your skin protected especially during dawn and dusk!

S
S
If there's a biting bug in the area it'll find me. The only thing that I've found that works is DEET, like 90%. You can usually get it at a sporting goods store. The bugs laugh at Off and Cutter's. A little bit of DEET goes a long way. You don't need to slather it on. A little bit here and there. It IS oily though. Also, stay away from fragrances/hairspray. It seems to attract them.

C
C
Right now their are no bugs. The sand flies etc come with the rainy season which we had alot of rain this year. Things usually get better in March and for sure in April.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
can't think of the name of the product, but avon carries a sunscreen/bug repellant....excellent stuff...never had a problem, contact avon...sure they will know what i am talking about...

W
W
The Avon product is called "Skin So Soft". People there swear by that.....so I heard over the years.

I've always used skin so soft, you can get it from your Avon lady (spray bottle) also don't use perfume as the bugs do like good smelling folks.
Never had more than a few ankle bites.

I
I
Avon has some new products that contain picaradin. Not as smelly as deet and won't melt things.
It's much better than the old Skin So Soft stuff, and lasts longer. They also have a few that contain sunscreen so you only have to put on one during the day. See www.avon.com and look for insect repellants. Right now they are 50% off. I just stocked up for a Roatan trip!

Last edited by Islenutt; 04/04/07 01:42 PM.
H
H
Nothing that I have tried really seemed to repel them. Baby oil or Skin-So-Soft oil was messy and just attracted sand grains. Long pants and socks work but are too hot. Deet based repellent worked great for all bugs except noseeums/sandflies. I get terrible reactions to them, large blisters that ooze and itch so badly I wake up tearing at my skin. Best thing I have found is to keep in the wind and keep the fans blowing on high.

No matter where you go ... There you are!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day