Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Disclaimer: Just like all other web site URLs you find in my posts, I am not engaged as a seller of these homes. I get no commissions from ANYTHING sold through any of the URLs I post.
I am just trying to help my fellow lot owners just like I have been trying to do in all my posts with the URLs you find posted there.

Could many lot owners on Ambergris Caye get together and order a number of homes at the same time to save on shipping costs?

I would like a number of people to look these web sites over and give your opinion on what is the best and most economical hurricane resistant home out of all of them found on the web sites below. Thanks, ELDORADO-777

Look at this web site: http://www.hurricanehut.net/

or this one: http://www.harvestbuildersinternational.com/

OR THIS ONE: http://www.monolithic.com/lists/builders.html

H
H
www.avalonenterprises.net
Belize Storm Engineered Housing

Problem for you will be how to get it to your land.

No matter where you go ... There you are!
D
D
Is this like the covintec stuff? Any houses on the island like this? Interesting site.

OP Offline
The dome shape seems very strong and the winds have less of an advantage with it

http://www.monolithic.com/disaster_resistance/index.html
"A Monolithic Dome, by its very nature, can and will withstand hurricane winds. The strongest hurricanes push with 150-mile-per-hour (mph) winds or 100 pounds per square foot. That force means absolutely nothing to a Monolithic Dome."

http://www.hurricanehut.net also has a similar type of structure.

If a house has a rectangular shape it seems like the winds have a greater advantage to push the house in and do damage.

Here is someone in Belize with monolithic dome experience:
Ivan Sheinbaum - Xanadu Resort
Box 109 San Pedro Ambergris Caye, Central America, Belize
905-881-4127 Fax 011-501-26-3409
[email protected]

Since we have been through a Cat 3/4 hurricane here on the island we have a fairly good idea of what can be considered hurricane resistant.

Practically all of the homes on the island survived the hurricane. The plywood shacks and shanties did not survive.

Wooden homes survived as did the concrete structures. The trick is build correctly, cross brace, good footings, hurricane straps, don't have expansive overhangs etc.

We have monolithic domes on the caye. Looks like an excellent choice.

E-777,

Those homes may be worthwhile from a wind standpoint, but keep in mind storm surge. Like 7 m waves. There was one of those geodescent homes on Santa Rosa Island (FL) and it didn't fare much better than any other place during Ivan.

Whatever you build, keep it economical enough that if you lost the whole shebang, it wouldn't wipe you out financially. In some respects it might be better to build simply enough so that if it did blow away or wash away, you'd have enough to REBUILD.

Not trying to be neggie here, just a different perspective on how well can we really negotiate with nature? I say better to flex with it.

OP Offline
If you look at the design of the hurricane hut found at:
http://www.hurricanehut.net/ I think it could survive the
waves if it is thick enough and grounded well. But I would
have to do more research about it to find out if it is storm
surge proof. It looks about the best of them in design for this kind of thing.

There is always the slim chance of a Tsunami if an asteroid
hit the water. I know that some scientists are growing concerned
about the possibility of an asteroid hitting the earth in the
future. Wouldn't it be nice if the U.S., Britain, Iran, North Korea, and Venezuela, who instead of preparing for war against each other, would all work together on missle technology that would be ready to go and use on any asteroid that may threaten the earth in the future. The asteroid could be exploded apart before it hit the earth. It seems to me it would be a much better use of money and could unite us against a common potential enemy.

"...and the second angel sounded, and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea...a third of the creatures that were in the sea and had life, died; and a third of the ships were destroyed." (Book of Revelation chapter 8, verses 8-9) Big asteroids that enter the earth's atmosphere resemble mountains with their conical shape and are burning also. Interesting, isn't it?

ELDORADO-777

E-777,

Yeah, I guess I just saw so many whole houses which were just picked up from their foundations and moved across the street or atop another with Katrina's surge. Some people had to literally go find them...no kidding, a mile or more away.

Well, you got that right about nations working to help humanity instead of figuring out how to wipe out masses. It's so sad that it has to be a "who gets who first" scenario. It's unfortunate that we have to be able to defend ourselves from ourselves....

Hmmmm, interesting, indeed. I never thought about the mountain as being one from space, but it certainly could be a possibility. I have to admit though, if that's what it takes to set things right, well then, let the seas roar. if you know what I mean. The trees of the fields will clap their hands.

B
B
Prior to Hurricane Keith I had designed and built 11 homes on A.C. Most of them were a mix of wood and concrete with the emphasis on the wood (they have such nice hardwood here)
As Amanda pointed out, "It's how you put them together".
None of the 11 met their respective insurance deductibles after the storm.
Yes, a hurricane resistant, nice, not goofy looking, home can be built here.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.