Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#234599 04/06/07 04:23 PM
OP Offline
I know this is AC forum but I thought maybe some of you that have traveled to the mainland could help!

We thought about spending the first 2-3 days of our next trip in Placencia. Has anyone been there? If so what did you think? What are the beaches like? What is the town like? Is it different from AC? Should we rent a car i we go?

I would love to hear what you think!! It's freezing out and I am planning our next trip down and love thinking about the warm sunny weather!!

lakegirl #234602 04/06/07 04:56 PM
M
M
Everytime we go to Belize we like to spend a few of our days in Placencia. It is different than AC; not as many bars or restaurants but that said we have always loved it. The beaches, like AC are really nothing special but also like AC the people are great. Renting a car is probably a good idea as things are somewhat spread out there and you really don't have the golf cart option like the island. It will take you a few hours but I really feel renting a car in Belize City and driving the Hummingbird highway is well worth the time and expense. You get to see the country from a view that planes don't offer. If you are looking for a place to stay give Barnacle Bills Bungalows in Maya Beach a call. They are nice and have decent beach next to them.

hey mr. larry, long time, friend. hope you are well, best to the mrs!!

i will be there at the end of may. will let you know what i think after that if not too late.

if you've never been to cayo, you should think about dgoing there sometime...a real experience!!

sweetjane #234613 04/06/07 10:15 PM
OP Offline
Mountain Larry
Should we stay close to town or away from town? Is it really costly to rent a car and drive? Is the countryside different than AC?

Sweet Jane
What's in Cayo? What places have you stayed in? And what have you done there?

Everytime we come to AC we always say we will do a trip or two to the mainland but we always end up staying on the island!!! It just seems hard to leave!! We figure if we go somewhere else first we have no excuse!!!!

lakegirl #234826 04/10/07 11:13 AM
M
M
Hi Jane, Yes we have been to Cayo and also enjoyed it. Much different than AC. May sounds like a good time.

Lakegirl,
Renting a car there is probably about the same as renting one in most places in the states. Gas isn't cheap but the country is small so you really don't need much. The countryside on the way to Placencia is much different than AC, lots of vegetation and rolling hills; absolutly beautiful.
Maya Beach is about 8 miles away so a car would be a need but there are places in town. That said I would still want a car.

OP Offline
I think that's a good idea too! Can't wait to try a new place before we go to AC!

lakegirl #234864 04/10/07 08:27 PM
C
C
You can rent a golf cart in Placencia from the gas station in town, they are legal on the roads and much cheaper than renting a car.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
Cooper #234876 04/10/07 11:40 PM
Hey! Does this guy think we're stupid? He probably owns the gas station and the cart rental. Oldest trick in the book. <wink>

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
TrueLover #234887 04/11/07 03:49 AM
S
S
you can rent a 4x4 from barefootrentals.net.. about 75$us
But a bike would be fine and much better for you and Placencia.
Also check Belize Forums for all stuff on mainland.
P.S. I dont own a "gas"station or have any financial interest whatsoever in the rental business

speedyG #234889 04/11/07 06:58 AM
things to do in cayo....where to start?

barton creek cave/ATM cave
numerous waterfalls
horseback riding in the jungle or mts
zipline
inland blue hole
xunantunich/el pilar/caracol ruins
mountain pine ridge reserve
tubing/canoe the river
OMG - the junge sounds at dawn
visit san ignacio

and on and on. the off to the beach for a surf n turf vaca!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.