Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#234896 04/11/07 09:00 AM
C
caroln Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My best friend and I will be down next week and are really looking forward to it. She is not the strongest swimmer, and not 100% comforable in the water, but she really wants to try snorkeling, and I really want to make it the best possible experience I can for her. I am getting her a proper fitting mask before we come down and a dry snorkel, but does anyone have any other recommendations to help make snorkeling there a really good experience for someone brand new to it? I know there is some type of snorkel vest thing available that keeps you from getting your head underwater, are those available for rent there? Any recommendations for a good guide for a beginner? Is it possible to have a one on one guide for snorkeling?
Any help would be appreciated smile
Carol

Have you snorkeled before? I don't think you have to be a good swimmer to do it... the fins keep you sorta floating... contact Clifford and Eric. They do a really good job. You can get contact info. from Conconets. I think Steve books for them.

Just about any of the guides will offer a life jacket. I personally had a great first experience with Tulu, but I know there are plenty of others on the island as well. The main thing would be to find someone willing to take out a very small group. It also wouldn't hurt for her to practice a bit in a pool, or in the shallow water around Ramon's beach.

L
L
I felt the same way the first time I snorkeled. I had not been in the ocean in decades, and don't like to swim much. What I found is that the salt water and swim fins seemed to keep me more boyant than I had anticipated, and after about 15 minutes of holding the rope of the boat and just looking under water I was more comfortable. There was not much swimming involved at all, more of just floating and looking down.

We have had great experiences with Geraldo and Fido Badillo, on their catamaran El Gato. They will take out as few as four, and Fido is a great one-on-one snorkel guide . . .very protective and reassuring for newbies. They have a web link in the Boating section of the main AC.com website. Highly recommended!!

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
I would go with Kris48. Invest in an inflatable snorkeling vest, not all that expensive and compact. Start with a dip in the hotel pool, have your friend practice a little technique, keeping the snorkel tip up, how to blow it out, and how to not panic. Being in a circumstance where you can stand up if you start to get shaky is very important. After this, hit someplace like Ramon's pier where you can still stand up, but have something to actually look at. When your friend is comfortable enough that she (?) gets more interested in seeing things than concentrating on the next breath, then out to Hol Chan. It is a lot like diving, you have to be comfortable enough to handle things without panicking. If you have to concentrate on survival, you miss the point of doing it.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
i am a total water ninny. i assure you your friend will have no problems.

every guide i ever had on AC was very good with newbies and ninnies, just inform them to that. someone will watch your friend and keep an eye out. some guides tie a life ring around their waist and let uncomfortable folks hang on. some put life jackets around your waist to help weak swimmers focus on maneuvering. some have even held my hand until i acclimated.

after a few minutes, your friend will see the wonder below and forget all about their discomfort. belize it.

If you really want to see some neat stuff try snorkeling at night. There are many more critters that come out at night then during the day. Just ask the dive operators when they will be doing a night snorkle trip.

I need another vacation.
agree with bfaucet...i did a nite snorkel a few years ago at hol chan...totally different than during the day...hard to believe it was the same place...very kool...

I will be there myself next week if you need someone to go snorkling with.
Bob

I need another vacation.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.