Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#23514 - 07/12/00 01:25 AM Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
Siri Offline
Wondering if anyone can give feedback on either hotel. Want a really nice swimable beach and accomodations that are clean and safe. Close to town - biking or golf cart is fine. A classy place but not too brick and mortar would be great since we are bringing our parents. Thanks!

#23515 - 07/12/00 07:15 AM Re: Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
Grace Offline
If I were you, I'd stay at Ramon's....your parents and you would be very happy...it's tasteful and pleasant, and the location is convenient....plus, you'll not meet any better people on the beach anywhere..
Oh, and by the way, Hi guys!

#23516 - 07/12/00 12:37 PM Re: Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
CHOOCHOO Offline
Either is quite nice, although pricey by AC standards. From your description Ramon's would probably be the better fit. Be sure you DO NOT get casitas at the back. They are along the "street" and noisy.

#23517 - 07/12/00 03:22 PM Re: Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
Lan Sluder/Belize First Offline
I think Villas at Banyan Bay has nicer suites (though the very expensive top-priced suites at Ramon's are nice.) Banyan Bay units are all newish two-bedroom condos with jacuzzis, whereas Ramon's has a variety of digs, from old and not so great thatch cabanas at the back to newer, nicer suites. The beach at Banyan Bay is better, but the beach at Ramon's is the best in or near town. The pool at Ramon's is more attractive, but both are nice. Most people would say Ramon's has the better location, as it's near town whereas Banyan Bay is maybe 1 3/4 miles south of town. As another poster said, they're both pretty pricey by Ambergris Caye standards.

--Lan Sluder
Belize First Magazine http://www.turq.com/belizefirst/

#23518 - 07/14/00 11:00 PM Re: Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
winehead Offline
Ramon's was a great place to stay...well, we stayed in a mini-suite right on the beach...and paid a pretty penny for it too. They rake the beach several times a day and keep it spotless...there is a bit of seagrass there...but it's everywhere. Swimming off the boat dock is great especially with snorkles and masks...they even have an eel or two living out there...The Purple Parrot bar is a classic beach bar with great bartenders...

#23519 - 07/15/00 01:39 AM Re: Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
BeerBudget Offline
Winehead,

First -- Congratulations!

Did you see the Sunbreeze while you were there? I'm having a hard time trying to decide where to stay, but the pool at Sunbreeze looks pretty nice.

Thanks!
BeerBudget

#23520 - 07/16/00 06:02 PM Re: Ramon Village or Banyan Bay - where to stay?
crazygrl Offline
Just returned from almost 3 weeks on A.C., I will be posting my long trip report soon. I have stayed at both properties your asking about and here's my 2 cents....I agree with Lan that Banyan Bay is the nicer of the two. All of the rooms (villas) are huge (1000 sq ft) and are beautifully decorated. The pool at Banyan is bigger but Ramons is prettier(more foliage built around it). Sometimes in the rainy season (which is now) critters like to hang out in the cool damp thatch which makes up the roofs in Ramons' properties. A couple of those critters fell onto the bed. I liked Ramons beach, they do take good care of it. But Banyan Bay just finished their dredging project and they've added a lot more sand and now it's one of the largest beach areas on the island. They too take good care of their beach. They have 2 gentlemen who are responsible for each side the beach and they rake whatever seagrass is there....all day long. Ramons restaurant was good but it was pricey. Banyan Bays restaurant was good but more limited for breakfast choices.
Hope this helps..have a great time

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (wiley, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,036 Topics
462,242 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.