Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Both of you fellows have a very sincere concern for the resources of the near coastal waters of Belize and I offer a sincere commendation to you for it. My first response to Mr Warren was not made with the intent to be rude, insensitive or derogatory, but may have been interperated so. If so I appologize sincerely. The intent was simply to vent and express my frustration and concerns regarding what I perceive as a system, larger than fishing, in need of adjustments. And I believe you both are correct in that real change is ultimately the responsibility of the voting public. And it seems a large part of this population might benefit significantly and make good voting choices from access to better information. I guess I don't know just when this might occur until all the children are educated.

I'll be happy to discuss my avatar with anyone who knows what it is.
S
S
A group of friends from SoCal, avid fishermen, have decided to vacation elsewhere after reading this thread and others like it. Too bad as they spend lots of US$ when they go on fishing holidays.

Last edited by Jesse; 04/20/07 10:17 PM.
The truth shall set you free?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

Good example of how the Board can help people to make informed decisions. grin

Go Guys
Consequence is the best teacher.
Suffering lost of revenue from abusing the reef will ultimately be the reason action is taken. My soap box is a waste.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Jesse, I understand your concern regarding the SoCal fellows going elsewhere to fish. Their plight sounds very similar to the one that an armada of "annual regulars" have elected not to boat to the islands from Miami because the government there doesn't want them to keep lobsters any longer. This group now drinks beer in Ket West annually. Somehow I doubt that either group will significantly impact the local economies and they will certainly not contribute to a resolution to the social problems at hand. Just my 2C worth.

A couple of tourist deciding to drink beer in another port really won't, but dredging the sea bed and sea walling for development is so dramatically effecting the fish that Fisherman and divers alike will soon elect to visit a more ecomature ( i think I just invented a new word)country. The developers deriving profit will leave having been successful and those that call this home, will be left staring at a lot of empty condos and suffering a collapsed economy.
Whats going to happen to Ambergris happened to the Cayman Islands in the late 70's and early 80's. They came back after implementing environmental restrictions that set a world standard, but only after a decade of loss.
Damn there I go with the soap box again.

White Sands Dive Shop
MY GOD Marty. Little did you know that by posting that article San Pedro is know in danger of becoming a ghost town.

Just one more question and then I'll shut up.
Q: Do public hearings, on impact statements, take place before major developments are approved for construction?

Yes and No , don't you just hate when people say that.
Some post the intention in a newspaper or public place like the library or town hall to have a defense if the objection comes later they can say they asked first. notices in the paper sometimes mention the posting is in Belmopan, (not likely a place Ambergrisans will travel to for the purpose of keeping informed).
Its not really effective and seems like a trick on the public to get it buy them.
There is a new deal, Major Paz has taken over control of the Ambergris Caye Planning authority recently and change is in the wind.
Part of the problem is not all of Ambergris Caye is in the Township and when its not permissions come from Belmopan with out an opinion of the Town Board. Another side to it is the seabed and Beach is under the jurisdiction of Belmopan.Its a real battle of control between local gov. and national gov. Each want the revenue from Fees and Graff, but San Pedro also wants To protect their home.
A good example of Out of control is the Dredging permits. The law gives Belmopan the authority to give permits to Dredge and even though the San Pedro Town board may be against it. Craig Moore in the Department of Mines and Geology in Belmopan feels Dredging the Sea Bed is good for Development so he approves it with out consulting the Township.
At this moment the huge new project at Journeys End is dredging the hell out of the entire sea bed area and pumping the salty silt onto the land salting the freshwater aguafer killing trees and destroying fresh water wells in the area, all with objections of San Pedro but with a permit from Creig Moore in Belmopan.
Its a big mess.

Last edited by elbert; 04/22/07 09:43 AM.

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.