Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
So when's the new barge location gonna' open?

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
Last I heard it's about $$$ for more dredging mostly but of course there needs to be additional infrastructure besides so the Port is supervised. I suggested an additional tax on trips the the twon center landing until the dredgings adequate. Got an extra 2 mil and feel lucky? smile I wonder who's supervising the temp ports now?

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Check out the article in Ambergris Today on Aprisl 26th. talking about the barges going South.
I did talk to the Eiley's and all they would tell me was, the Town is making them move South and the Town was buying them the property. Didn't sound right to me. Why would the Town buy the property for them? Why would the Town let them dredge in front of Hol Chan when they (the Town) are already under wraps for all the dredging on the sea side? See the article on "Wet Lands" this week of the San Pedro Sun.

Last edited by kathyw; 04/30/07 03:12 PM.
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
It looks like this planned barge was trying to go in illegally.
These are the minutes yesterday at the Chamber of Commerce
This time it will be many property owners fighting with lawyers, not just one family

Development of a new barge dock?
Chamber Members, Tom Cotton & Steve Adams, emailed to express their concern and find out more about what seems to be a new barge docking facility being created South of town and across from the Hol Chan Marine Park. Several pictures were sent of the mangroves being cut and preparations being made for the new construction. Terry Colbert shared that the paper had a comprehensive article on the barges moving from the Town Park Dock to a barge docking facility on the south end of the island owned by Varella. Terry stated that the article went on the say that the Eiley's (Caribbean Queen) would not be moving there and would be building a new docking facility one mile pass that on their private property. The Town Council had approved the move to the Varella dock to get the barges out of the center of town. But the article went on to say that the Town was not aware of any dredging, and any permission to dredge would have to come from Belmopan.

A discussion ensued, with many strong opinions being expressed about the damage to Hol Chan, both from the dredging as well as the increased barge traffic. As the boats move or turn the barges there is a large amount of silt generated especially during low tide, so any silt created during that the time the tide is going out would be drawn right through the Hol Chan channel. The discussion went on to express the short-sightedness of just moving the barge problem further down the island and now just affecting a new group of people. There are resorts and private homes all along that area, and everyone knows that the front of the island is rapidly developing beyond a commercial barge enterprise. This would have been an excellent time to make use of the 3 million dollar port that was built years ago. Unfortunately at the time the port was built, smaller barges were being used, and the companies insist that it cannot serve the purpose for which it was intended without more docking space and dredging.

We will follow up, and hopefully have more information by the next meeting.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.