Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#235807 04/19/07 12:08 PM
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Has any one heard the rumor of Eiley's purchasing property 4 miles South of San Pedro (Boca Ciega)for a new location of their barge? It would be pretty stupid of them to go that far South to truck everything back to town on roads that can't even sustain the current traffic.
If they do intend to put it South, who would give them permission to clear all the mangroves in that area? They would also need to dredge, since it is so shallow. It would seem to be too close to the Marine Reserve for them to get a permit for this. Who would give such permit? Its already eroding from natural causes, hurricanes and cutting of mangroves. I guess we need to check with the mayor to see if she knows about this and what can be done. This would be a terrible impact for all the new resorts and new houses that are in process or have been built.
Eiley's would also have big problems with access to their lot. Some of the lots in that area sold from sea to lagoon without legal public easements. The property owners paid for and built the now electric pole road that goes thru their property. These property owners have ownly given permission to BEL, golf carts and trucks with supplies for those property owners. Eiley's would have no legal right passing thru these properties and the property owners will get legal assistance to keep them from doing so.
If this indeed is in progress, we need to find out who is giving permission to ruin the environment and marine life and to get it stopped before it happens.
The town has spent several million dollars on a new road and new marina for this purpose and that is where they need to be.
Hopefully this is just a terrible rumar, but if not, we need to stop them before the damage is done.
Please let us know if you have any information on this.
Thank you
Kathy

B
B
Interesting post. I don't believe most of the rumors I hear but this is certainly cause for alarm. I remember all the effort that went into getting the barge dock assembled on the back of the island. Shouldn't they all use it?

JZB Offline
It amazes me what the town allows to happen! Instead of solving the problem (moving the barges to where they are supposed to be) They are just moving the problem around maybe hoping if no one sees them in town, no one will complain anymore. If this is allowed to happen the island south of town will pretty much be destroyed by non stop large trucks, giant barges tearing up the sea floor and leaking oil/gas into our marine reserve.
The thought of it makes my blood boil!

S
S
The rumour mongers have acheived their goal...got you terrorized!

S
S
The lagoon also has a sea floor and much more mangrove, all teaming with life. The ecological ramifications are about the same at either location.

The property south of town has a current landing dock and a channel. It is not as far as Boca Ciega. It was recently being used for the same reasons.

Although a bit ugly and smelly, the trucks are needed for the Island's expansion. Keeping the island for day visitors is not an option. Thus, hotels and condos will continue to be built. Until we have a bridge connecting us to the mainland (not good) the need for barges will be here. Four miles south of town is 100% better than in the downtown area, for sure.

Remember the last lady that opposed the Eiley's? This is one of the largest families on the island and has been instrumental in the development of this island. I'm sure they have a clue as to what they are doing opposed to a few that may have visited here or may only have been here for a few years. It is a developing island, so get used to it for another decade or so. Even with the barge in the back, the local residents will not appreciate heavy traffic on their quiet streets.

AC has adequate marine reserves. I would give up on the immediate town area, it's all ready gone. So relax, it's all good and getting better.

The other option is to close the doors to visitors and business development and cheat the Belizeans of a great opportunity to support their families in the tourism industry.

SIN

The location south of town will be a huge st

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sin, Let me get this straight, you would relax if a barge were to be built right next door to you, or next to the resort you sell time shares for? Nor would you mind trucks driving thru your land? Is nine years owning a house not long enough to inquire about this? Are you saying the Eiley's did away with that woman you are talking about? If so, is that how things are dealt with on the island if we have lots of money. The channel and dock area already South is not the one we are talking about. This will be a new one with more truck traffic. You say this will be better than the one already built by the Town Board, the one with roads already complete and a marina already paid for? Give me a break.

S
S
If you are anxious to get the government barge port into operation (the one in back) then do something to get GOB to complete it to acceptable standards. The barge operators refuse to use it as the water is too shallow and theres not enough room to maneuver.

K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So in other words, we abandon the marina in the back that millons have already been spent, that has a channel too shallow the barge operators won't use, so we can build in another location thats too shallow and has to be dredged? If these people have soo much money to spend on buying a new location and dredging, why not spend it to fix the location already in place? Just a thought
Still hoping its just a rumor

S
S
Eileys have already made a major investment in land at the new government port so its condition is a big disappointment to them too. If the port ever gets completed it will be managed by Port of Belize, and the users will pay fees that they don't pay elsewhere.

K
kathyw Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Why would they have to pay the Port Of Belize on the lagoon side and not one the sea side? (because of loans or?) Why wouldn't the Port Of Belize stop them from putting one in a residential area just to avoid payment? Maybe the Port Of Belize needs to be contacted to see if this is legal?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 227 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.