Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236660 04/30/07 06:32 PM
S
Sea Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Are there fewer sailboats there than motor boats?

Are slips or mooring areas available for sailboats with a 6 foot draft and 50'long? If so what would be cost to buy/ rent, or lease?

Is there anything like a sailing club?

Iv'e heard the area can be somewhat difficult for sailboats due to a stiff breeze and shoals.

Any comments ?

Ken

6 foot draft is going to limit your range - you really need to know what you are doing with such a deep (for here) draft.

If you hunt around on this website there are sailing stories.

No sailing club. There are sailing boats here that are typically cruising the Caribbean and passing through. Most anchor off shore.

50 ft long. 6 ft draft? are you sure you have that draft Number right? should that not be closer to 8 ft. maybe even 10ft? your Knock down( roll over) recovery must concern you greatly.

I have sailed a 60 footer and that had a 13ft draft.

Never Use money to measure wealth
S
Sea Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Bill,

All lead wing keel. Keel ballast is about .47 of displacement. Not too worried about knock downs. Actually very comfortable in a stiff breeze. There is some weather helm that rounds the boat up when layed over too far in a puff. I try to keep her at less than 20 degrees heel to make best VMG.

Amanda,

I did search on "sailing" and found a few posts but not many.

When they anchor off shore, is that between the reef and San Pedro, or is there a spot in the lee of AC ( the lagoon side) suitable for anchoring?

I understand there is a Belize Yacht club. Where is that located and does it primarily consist of power boaters?

How about a scuba diving club?

Thanks,

Ken

S
S
Ken,

Get yourself a copy of this cruising guide to get a better understanding of the limitations of your draft.

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Mexi...mp;s=books&qid=1178033361&sr=8-3

You won't be able to anchor up on the backside of AC with that much draft. You would be able to anchor up on the backside of Caulker.

All sailboats pretty much up anchor on the front side of AC behind the reef.

Belize Yacht Club is a misnomer, the docks are in poor repair and there are no real facilities or services other than that dock. Pretty much everyone drops anchor.

The entire island is a scuba diving club.

Cheers,

Simon...

Yes, what Simon said.

S
Sea Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Simon,

I hope this doesn't duplicate the reply I just made but haven't seen appear yet.

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely get the guide.

Does anchoring on the windward side of San Pedro make for a rock & rolly anchorage even though it's inside the reef?

If the whole island is a scuba club, would it be hard to round up a few divers from time to time to dive off the boat with me?

Ken

S
S
If the normal Northeast winds are blowing you can anchor out closer to the reef and stay in the lee. a North wind can kick up a swell but if you can keep your bow into it you'll be fine.
Taking divers on your boat will run afoul of the guide license laws which are fairly strict. You could organize your operation with a local guide and be OK.

S
Sea Dog Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Jesse,

Thanks for the tip on anchoring.

Sorry I didn't make myself more clear on the diving. I have no intention of starting an "operation" as in charging money for friends and aquaintences to go out diving with me.

My question was meant in the spirit gathering a few friends who like to dive to go out for occasional dives. Local laws don't prohibit that, do they?

Ken

Sea Dog, We (Gringos) own a "Private" boat registered in San Pedro, It also has a permit to use Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. We have never had to hire a "Guide" When we take friends out snorkeling or fishing. We happen to have a couple of local friends that drive our boat most of the time, but they are invited guests and have Belize captains licences. (And a lot more experience in the local waters around San Pedro than I do). We (The Owners) can drive our "Private" boat without a Belizean licence as long as it is not for hire. However, I would recommend that you not attempt to navigate those waters without prior experience as there are many "surprises" that could pop up and ruin your day! A "guide" could be worth his weight in gold, and will also provide an income to another local in San Pedro. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.