Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
D-Dowg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am considering a vacation with about half the time flyfishing (various inshore species, none specific). All the fishing magazines recommend El Pescador. I'm more the "plan it myself" type, than a "package deal" person.

First, are there any recommended guides w/ experience & equipment that are on par with the El Pescador guides?

Second, How far in advance do the local guides need to be booked? And what's the average daily rate?

Third, what are the recommended hotels/condos/other if your main focus is fishing/relaxing/snorkeling and not diving?

I've done a search on fishing guides, but I'm curious to see who else maybe recommended.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks Bob H

J
J
Good day Sir,
Journey's End Resort enlist some of the very best guides especially in the arena of fly/flats and at $240 a day for 2 it is quiet reasonable. packages including accomm. and fishing from $480.
regardless of who/where its an awesome destination.
-j

A
A
Hi D-Doug! Just got back from 6 days of flyfishing on AC. Several of the resorts have fishing packages that are comparable to El Pescador. If everyone that is going is fishing, that is the way to go. You can book a guide directly, I highly reccommend the Bradley Brothers, George or Roberto for flyfishing. You can call them at 011-501-26-2179. Call about 8pm central time so if he is fishing that day he'll have time to get home. We fished with George, he is an excellent guide and waits on you hand and foot. We caught lots of bones and one tarpon, although if we returned tomorrow I'm sure we could catch more tarpon. There is a big learning curve on catching tarpon. It is imperative that you can softly land a fly within a 2' circle at 40' in a 15 knot wind if you expect to catch many fish. 60' distance is even better. George can get you close to fish, but you have to put the fly in front of the fish. Copper colored polarized glasses really helped, as well as sports stick sun screen and SPF 45 lip sunscreen. The sun is brutal if you fish all day. We had a wonderful time, stayed at Victoria House. Excellent service and facilities, but a bit pricey. See my reply to fishing guides this site, and on the AC message board, and on virtual flyfisher site.
If you like I can tell you which flies and what equipment we used.
Art

A
A
I forgot some things you asked. We booked 3 months in advance, but we fished an extra day and he wasn't booked. It probably depends on what season you go, but if you are locked in to a date, I'd try to book as far in advance as I could. We furnished our own equipment, but George gave us flies to use when ours weren't as effective. The fee was $200 a day for an 8 hour day, and is less, I think $150 for a half day. You bring a box lunch and a sandwich for the guide. He brings ice and bottled water. Ask him about equipment. I know he flyfishes himself, but I don't know if he rents equipment. Use flourocarbon leaders!

D
D-Dowg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the info Everyone!

Art form La. - I saw your post on the VFS Mexico Board. Thanks for posting all the great information, especially the flies & tackle on VFS. Email me if get a chance, I'd like to get some more info. offline. Thanks again.

Bob H

Thumbs up on the Bradleys. We've used them for fishing AND diving. They also build a damn fine boat by island standards. I think there are 4 or 5 brothers. Great people.

A
A
Doug,

couldn't find your email. Mine is [email protected] . If I can help you I'd be glad to.

Art

B
B
I also just returned from a week of flyfishing at A/C and would be glad to share some thoughts via email if you will email me (your address doesn't show on the profile).

D
D-Dowg Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It looks like nobodies email address is part of their profile! Anyone with Fly Fishing info & accomodation suggestions can email me at:

[email protected]

(Don't be offended by the email alias... it's from my "Less than an angel" yellow lab)

S
S
There's a crazy out there that likes to send bizarre emails to any address he finds here,so Marty eliminated that info. Be forewarned that you may receive some very strange mail!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 284 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.