Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2368 10/01/00 01:01 AM
M
Mateo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello! My fiance is there in San Pedro in the Casa Flores, across from the Island Academy; a wooded house on stilts. She is unsure of whether this is high enough ground and if should she move to a cement building (it's swaying pretty good).

Bless you; I cannot thank you enough for having erected a board like this erected so quickly.

#2369 10/01/00 01:29 AM
i'll check with some folks on the ground, and see what they think...

here's the response:
The building is high enough. The ground is about 7-9 feet above sea level and the building is another 5 or so to the "ground" floor. There is also a second floor. My concern in that building would not be the surge, it would be the structural soundness. If it's swaying already I'd be concerned.

This storm is different than Mitch. I was worried with Mitch because of the 25ft surge it carried with it. This storm is rain and winds, minimal surge. I'd rather be in a ground floor building than something on stilts

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 10-01-2000).]

#2370 10/01/00 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Mateo, is your fiancee Eva? If so, do you know if they evaucated the island? My dtr lives in the green house in front of the house you mentioned.

#2371 10/01/00 06:50 PM
M
Mateo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes! She is Eva! Is your daughter Jenny? Or Charlene? Any word?

Last I heard from Eva they were about to make the trek to the Beliki/Coca Cola distributor's (concrete for saftey, moving from Charlene's). This was around 1pm Belize, roughly. Charlene's cell is not working/answering now.

#2372 10/01/00 06:58 PM
M
Mateo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
They were also talking of connecting with Dixie (school principal), so that may have happened. I pray they are all together to help make decisions as clear-headedly as possible. They were concerned with the possibility of rising water in the Coca Cola/Belikin building, so they may have taken another action.

Please anyone drop a word if you heard aboout the Island Academy faculty.

God bless

#2373 10/01/00 07:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Mateo, Jenni is my dtr, and I am very very concerned for her safety as well as the safety of Eva, Charlene, Dixie, and the rest of the faculty. I fear 1:00pm was too late to get off the island by air or sea. If you've been reading all the message boards, lots of boats are lost. I don't mean to alarm you, but I AM ALARMED! I feel so useless here in Houston. Dixie's boat is big but not unsinkable.

By the way, Eva is a precious, precious darling girl, and I think Jenni is being her big sister. You are a blessed man.

I am praying for all in Belize, particularly the girls and Dixie.

#2374 10/01/00 07:59 PM
M
Mateo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ekkstar,

They did not try to get off the island; was too crazy by the time it would've happened. I last spoke with them at around 1pm CST, when they were attempting to make the move I described above. No word since then, but I know they're just hunkered down and hanging tight.

Brings some tears just to speak of Eva and the ladies. Have heard so much about Jenni; look forward to meeting her soon.

#2375 10/01/00 08:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Mateo, thanks so much for the info above. I pray they are safe at the Coca-Cola building. However, it is ground level, so may not be able to stay there due rising water. I am logging off now to make some phone calls but will be back on line later. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks again for the updates. I really appreciate it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.