S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Brown brings island 'Riddim' to Yacht Club

Band will feature reggae, ska, jazz and funk all-stars

By Jim Musser
Music beat

To say that Tony Brown has a colorful history is something of an understatement. A teammate of the great Jerry Moses on Waterloo East's powerhouse football teams of the late '60s, Brown attended UNI, where he played in director James Coffin's award winning jazz band.

Brown found his way to Iowa City, becoming one of the mainstays of the area's soul and R&B scene in the '70s before falling head over heels for reggae in the late-'70s/early-'80s.

During those years, the Tony Brown Band was one of Eastern Iowa's biggest, most dependable club acts (along with Bo Ramsey & the Sliders and Rob Gal's punk/New Wavers, The Ones), and this was at a time when those bands would work a local club (usually Gabe's or the Crow's Nest) two or three nights in a row, play three long sets each night without an opening act, and still pack the venue every show.

Those were different times, indeed.

As the club scene tapered off (due in part to drunk-driving crackdowns in the mid-'80s), Brown relocated with his family to Madison, where he continued as a solo musician while fostering that city's vibrant reggae/roots scene in a variety of capacities with various area combos.

Tony recently returned to our area after spending six years as a performer and manager at Fido's Courtyard in San Pedro, Belize. He continues to find time to play music, including assorted gigs with his son-in-law, Kevin "B.F." Burt, but he also works with at-risk students in Waterloo and has begun teaching at Johnson School of the Arts in Cedar Rapids.

Brown, who's always been known for the strength of his convictions, boundless energy, commitment to a better world and an unsinkable disposition, will be making a rare full-band appearance Saturday at the Yacht Club (13 S. Linn St.); there will be a $7 cover for the 9 p.m. show.

Billed as Tony Brown & the 608 Riddim Section, the band will feature Madison-area reggae, ska, jazz and funk all-stars from Natty Nation, The Landing Crew and Tony Castenada's Latin Jazz Band.

Very interesting, Simon! Tony is always so sweet when I see him at Fido's. He seems like a real genuine guy!!

This is great news. What date is he here? I'm glad the rumors he may have passed on the concert in the sky are incorrect. I'd love to video the event. Let me know.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
S
SimonB Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Won't be here, show's up in Madison, Wisc.

J
J
Nope, not in Madison. Right here in Iowa City. Guess I'll have to take a nap on Saturday so I can stay awake late enough to go to the Yacht Club. Sounds like it will be a great evening!!!

Riddem section. Fun name. Well hope he comes back here to San Pedro from time to time. I always enjoyed his music.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
What does "13 S. Linn St." mean?

#237205 05/05/07 03:38 AM
It means number 13 South Linn Street. Why P2? Does he owe you money as well?

PS. Find out what I'm up to at www.broadjam.com/barefootskinny

Your's not in the Caye of "A"
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
The post above cites "the Yacht Club (13 S. Linn St.)". Given that that is not the address of the Belize Yacht Club here in San Pedro, is this referring to some other establishment?

#237366 05/07/07 09:02 PM
J
J
Yes, it's the name of a bar in Iowa City Iowa where Tony Brown played last week.

I didn't realize until this thread that this is the same Tony Brown that played at the teen dances when I was in high school here in Iowa. The name of the band was IBTC.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.