Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#237625 05/10/07 06:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
My phones were cut off today, because I had forgotten to pay the bill. No warning of course, although they seem to find it easy to send unwanted advertising messages. $27:50 for each of three lines to reconnect. Why bother to provide a decent service when you can get away with making money like this!

#237639 05/10/07 10:13 PM
S
S
I'm surprised; I pay on the first of the month and then expect my regular call on the second reminding me to pay my bill or I will be cut off.

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
How do you get them to call you? I get reminder emails from BEL but zilch from BTL.

#237662 05/11/07 10:10 AM
This short disconnect time in spite of the fact that we each made a sizeable "deposit" in order to get the service in the first place.
I asked "When do I get my deposit back?"
Answer: "When you move from the island."
"But I'm not going to move - I live here"
This was answered with a shrug.

How much was your deposit?

THEY DO BECAUSE THEY CAN!

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
I find it easy to put a reoccurring monthly reminder on my calendar to pay bills... there ya go! Simplified! smile

I got my deposit back after 10 years of service.

The bills are usually available 2 weeks or so in advance of the disconnect date. Just gotta plan to make that payment prior to the cut-off date - every time.

If you don't receive your bill, you still know that you owe it, and if you go to the payment office they can pull up your account and tell you how much you owe.

JZB Offline
We got our deposit back after about 2 or 3 years of continuous service. Of course, they don't cut you a check, they credit your account.

JZB #237676 05/11/07 12:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
BTL tell me that they will shortly be changing their admin system. At present a human (in Belize City) makes the decision to pull someone's phone service. That will be automated so what little discretion they practice at present (none, I think) will disappear. They suggested (though did not state explicitly) that this auto-disconnect will happen immediately the due time for them to receive payment has passed. Contrast that with practice in the UK, where they use their system to send you a reminder, then in extremis cut you off for outgoing calls but leave incoming ones working. Then they actually phone you, person to person, to see what the problem is. Only after they've exhausted all reasonable avenues do they disconnect the line. Even then, it still works for emergency calls.

This isn't because the British telephone company is magnanimous and likes to give money away, but because they're regulated by government. Something that isn't likely to happen here any time soon.

As I said, a nice little earner.

#237723 05/11/07 10:40 PM
I got my deposit back after about 2 years of continuous service and I did get a check for BZ$1,000. It took a few weeks going in and asking for it.

Pay your bill on time - then you won't need to gripe. Jeesh. It's basic life. Pay your rent, pay your utility bills, life is easy. Neglect a payment and life turns upside down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.