Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#238205 05/18/07 09:27 PM
P
OP Offline
P
How do you like that subject line:)

My wife nad I are arriving in AC Friday May 25th for 7 days and are bringing myu parents who are 57 and 55. My dad broke his leg yesterday and I was wondering how much of a problem it is going to be getting around. He does not have a cast but had surgery yesterday and has a couple of pins and screws put in there to stabalize everything. My parents never travel and this is a trip that they have really been looking forward to. He cannot put any weight on his leg for 8 weeks but can move his leg at the knee without too much discomfort. We are staying at White Sands Cove and don't want to leave him at the pool for 7 days looking like a nice chunk of beef jerkey by the time we leave.

I guess after all that explanation my question is.....is it going to be possible for him to get around a little without too much of a problem. We would like to head into San Pedro for dinner and understand the road north may be a little to rough for him so we will likely do the water taxi thing. He will have crutches and he is on very good shape. Let me know your thoughts! The last 3 days we have booked at Chaa Creek and he is obvously not going ot be able to do much there but sit around and read a book. Do you think I should recommend that my parents stay on AC the while time?

Thanks!!!

L
les Offline
L
Can he snorkel, because all ocean and pool activites make your body much weigthless like your almost in space.I would not do a ruin trip lots of walkin. Also fishing is upper body strength.

les #238214 05/18/07 10:49 PM
P
OP Offline
P
His doctor has told him he should be able to snorkel and as long as he can sit in the boat fishing is fine. We have never been to Belize and were wondering how easily it will be to get around San Pedro with crutches? We will be going to restaurants for nearly all our meals and want to make sure this will not be too big of a pain in the butt for him.

I thought you said (in an earlier thread) that you guys were renting a golf cart for the week? If that's the case, you shouldn't have too much trouble, except for when you go to beach restaurants where you have to enter from the beachside (sand).

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

I recommend your parents stay home this time and come when he is healed up. The north road is very rough-to be bumping along with a leg that had surgery. This is not Florida and you are far from town. If you were staying right in town maybe. Infections are also tough because of the climite. How are you going to get him into a boat? I met a one legged guy who did pretty well, but he had years of practice. NO weight on the leg for 8 weeks, what happens when he falls on that tender leg? How do you walk with crutches in loose sand? Sometimes the time is just not now. Sorry

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the feedback. It is going to be very difficult to keep him from going. We spoke with the owners of White Sands Cove and they said much the same as Indygal. I am going to relay this on to them, but I have a feeling he will be making the trip.

Seashell-I think we will be renting a cart for the week but I am concerned about him being able to take the humps and bumps of the road north.

T
T
lots of rain the past several nights, as well as this morning. the roads are getting pretty bumpy and muddy, with lots of potholes and some large puddles. drove north last sunday and the road wasn't as bad as i had expected, but i am sure it is in pretty rough shape now judging by the roads in town.

good luck

I broke my ankle and had surgery too. I wasn't allowed in the water till the skin completely healed. Riding the roads was hellish. The crutches really were awkward in the sand and mud too.

If your parents want to have a fantastic trip to Belize and enjoy it to the fullest, perhaps they should wait.

I know how disappointed they will be. My family postponed a vacation when I broke my ankle. But I know when we go I will be able to fully enjoy the trip and not be burden.

P
OP Offline
P
I just spoke to him and he has full movement in the leg. He broke his tibia right at the head of the bone-below his knee. It basically cracked off a little chunk and he has 2 pins in it with about 3/4 inch incisions on either side. He thinks he can do it without too much of a problem. I told him he needs to be honest with himself and that if it is going to be too much he shouldn't be forcing it. We do not leave until next Friday so we will see what happens in the next 4 or 5 days.

J
J
Is there any way to change your reservation to somewhere closer to town? It would certainly make travel to restaruants a whole lot simpler.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 324 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.