Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#238500 - 05/23/07 05:58 AM Tikal
treetops Offline
My husband who is 78 would like to see Tikal. We have a place in San Pedro, would fly to the border. He wonders if there are any aids for the mildly disabled at Tikal. He can walk, but places to relax or even help with mobility would be good to know about. Any ideas??

#238519 - 05/23/07 02:34 PM Re: Tikal [Re: treetops]
Anonymous
No specifics, but when you say "fly to the border" do you realise that that isn't actually possible? You would fly from Belize City to Flores, 30-odd miles from Tikal, and take a tour from there. I believe Tropic Air arrange such tours - you could check on their website. Or try to find an agent in Tikal ahead of time - should be possible. I'm quite sure mildly disabled people will be catered for at Tikal.

It won't be cheap, however.

In the first instance, as well as contacting Tropic I'd try Katie Valk in Belize City (http://www.belize-trips.com/, email info@belize-trips.com), who does this sort of thing for a living and I'm sure will help all she can. If you're currently in the US you can call her on 1-561-210-7015.

#238714 - 05/24/07 08:59 PM Re: Tikal [Re: ]
Rudel Offline
Here are the options:
1. Fly form Belize City to Flores (45 Mins. on Tropic Air- nice flight chances of seeing mayan ruins on route) do the Tikla Tour and return the same day to Belize City on Tropic. Flight leaves Bze City @ 9:30 a.m. and Flores Guatemala @ 3:30 p.m. Quick way of getting a glimpse of Tikal.
2. Drive from Belize City to Flores. Leave Bze. City @ 8:00 a.m. drive to the border 2 hours away (72 miles) Cross the border and drive 17 miles on road currently been paved and on the way visit Yaxha. Gorgeous Mayan Site with tall temple pyramids. Overnight at hotel in Flores or El Remate. Followind day, early morning departure to Tikal, a vehicle could be arranged to drive yuo into the ruins. Lunch and on the afternoon drive to Belize City or San Ignacio. Contact info@aventurasmayas.com.gt

#239056 - 05/28/07 04:57 AM Re: Tikal [Re: Rudel]
LaraTravelBelize Offline
as for getting around, i have to say that the one thing i do remember thinking as we were walking the grounds is that it REALLY would have been helpful if they had let people know that it might be a challenging walk if you were at all limited. I'm 35 and healthy, but for some reason i think of some these things.

there are very few places to sit and rest as you walk into the city of Tikal...but once there he can sit a lot. I worry though about the walk. a good sturdy cane would help. its certainly not a HIKE, but it is slightly uphill, and is not the most stable of footing. and, of course, then there is the downhill.

maybe there is more info on someone elses blog? did you google it?
www.lemoncrushbelize.com

#240752 - 06/16/07 04:52 PM Re: Tikal [Re: LaraTravelBelize]
button pusher Offline
We were just there. We rented a car from Crystal, they let you take the car out of Belize. The border crossing was and experiance, a young boy offered to help us get past, he earned his tip! It is a bumpy drive, but you see Guatamala. We stayed one night in Tikal, the idea was sunset photos, and sunrise photos. Well the idea was good, we had and afternoon rain storm, we did not care that we got wet, but the walking paths turn into creeks and are VERY slippery when wet. We are active and love to hike, I fell once, did not get hurt but it did make me alot more careful. Rain caused fog in the morning, so we missed the sunrise photos too. We did get many ruin photos,spider monkeys, howler monkeys, and tucans as well.
When we returned to Belize, we felt like we were home. We would do it all over again!
But I would not recommend the trip to those with mobility issues.

#240757 - 06/16/07 06:04 PM Re: Tikal [Re: button pusher]
button pusher Offline
As an after thought, we did see a truck drive through Tikal with passangers in the back, sort of a drive tour. You might look into this.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (VoVoVo), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,673 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,040 Topics
462,248 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.