Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#238535 05/23/07 09:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Another interesting (though rather disturbing) set of facts mailed to me today by my (very active) anti-malware supplier.

Google have found that 30% of all websites accessed through them can or do install malware on users' computers. Generally this malware is used nowadays as a vehicle for theft. In most cases your anti-malware (often referred to as anti-virus, but in reality viruses are now a small part of the overall problem - spyware is far more serious) cannot prevent this and doesn't even know about it.

A new type of malware is appearing which uses Windows Install to get onto your computer. There is absolutely no way of stopping this.

The only remedy is to use top class anti-malware software, update it in realtime, and scan your entire computer frequently - at least once a week, ideally every night. Or get a Mac.

The easier computers get to use, the easier they get to abuse.

On another topic, for those many of us buying these super new phones which will do anything except make the tea (sorry, coffee), they are also under attack. Any phone which can access the internet, whether or not that service is actually used, can have malware installed on it, and some are being delivered new already infected. This can do anything, from transmitting your phone book or any other info stored on your phone to anyone else for any purpose (highly pertinent for phones that are also organisers - how many people keep credit card and bank info in their organisers?) to re-routing every call you make via the most expensive possible route without you knowing - until you get the bill. Apparently 361 different "viruses" have so far commonly been found, and no make or type of phone is immune. It just has to be able to access the internet.

#238537 05/23/07 09:13 AM
wow!

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
Otteralum #238569 05/23/07 01:08 PM
K
K
...unless you're a Steelers OL coach. Then it's easy to abuse, but not necessarily easy to use.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish #239148 05/29/07 08:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Anyone else experiencing dreadful internet service lately? Pages come up v e r y slowly, and many pages take several attempts before they load. I can't get some old favourites to load at all, and whereas one or two might have problems at their end, I doubt if that's the case with so many. I'm using cable, top-but-one speed. When I complain to them about pages not loading for the first few attempts but finally working, they don't show the slightest comprehension of the problem.

#239152 05/29/07 09:55 AM
S
S
Switch to BTL DSL service. It's been very good for me.

SP Daily #239153 05/29/07 10:05 AM
I have Coral Cable and the service cuts in and out irregularlly. Same thing was happening with the TV reception. Their response always the same "We are working on it."

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #239156 05/29/07 10:56 AM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I had BTL before and changed to cable because (then) BTL was so poor!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 254 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.