Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#238501 05/23/07 12:06 AM
K
kda Offline OP
OP Offline
K
We are avid snorklers but curious-maybe-wanna-invest-in-dive-certification-courses. Ideas on resort course diving? I can't find the cost or any other info other than it's offered here and there. Any ideas? Worth the time/money? Is it a decent intro into diving? Any particular companies to go w/?

A
A
Hi, there is Belize Diving Services,email [email protected],
by the football field, they are the best, not that all the dive shops aren't great but personally I think you get great service from Dawn and Kathy and their excellent staff can't be beat.
If you take a Discover Scuba course first then you will know if diving is for you aor not. If you choose to continue, then the course applies to the next level. You can do it in a half day. Full Open Water Cert. is 4 days.
The prices on CC are lower than most places or the same.
I encourage you to go for it, snorkelling is awesome diving is awesome to the power of ten!
Allie

Allie has good advice but Where you are staying has everything to do with it. Are you going to be staying on Caye Calker or Ambergris Caye. All the hotels offer it,most charge from 150. to 185. usd and credit that cost to the full certification if you decide to continue. Who to take it from should/will depend on if your a practical distance away.If you chose to do the PADI version of the discover SCUBA Diving (resort course) you will get internationally recognized credit towards your certification course.In other words the dive and pool session you do for the Resort Course will count as one of the pool and one of the dives you are required to do to get certified.where ever you end up be sure and get a log book record of your experience and remember it says 'Have Fun' 52 times in the book.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
S
S
Also, when choosing a dive shop, please ask them about their safety protocols in case something goes wrong. Does their staff have adequate training in first aid, CPR etc.? Is the shop affiliated with a decompression chamber?
Do you get into the water via giant stride or back roll? Personally, I think the back roll is more dangerous, especially for newbies. You have the potential of hitting your head on your tank valve and that can cause problems under pressure. Also, what is their evacuation procedure. These are questions that people don't consider until it's too late. Oh, another one, do they carry oxygen on board, has the staff be instructed and certified in using oxygen.

Last edited by skubakat; 05/23/07 12:41 PM. Reason: addition
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I have to add something here, as I think "skubakat's" post may alarm people unnecessarily. I think the main thing is to see whether the shop is registered with a recognised training agency, such as PADI. The individual taking you out may be a registered DM or instructor, but that's not the same thing. If the shop is registered then it's likely that everything else will follow. If you have any doubts, ask to see the following on the boat: first aid kit (should be comprehensive); oxygen unit (check it's full); communication equipment present and in reliable working order (in this area usually a cell phone, which must be charged and with credit, or may be a marine radio that should receive and transmit); anchor and chain/line; ladder; flares; navigation lights at night. There may be things I've forgotten. Such as the basic one that the boat is in good order, the engines work and there's plenty of fuel. In any case, most of this is required by law and under the operator's licence issued annually by a government agency.

There is only one recompression chamber, and that is in San Pedro. If the dive shop is affiliated that helps, but more important is that they know the chamber and how to contact/reach it. Very important here is that you, the diver, have proper dive insurance - the dive operator should be able to advise and help.

I have never (in several thousand dives) heard of anyone with properly fitted gear hitting their head on their tank valve on a back roll entry. It is by far the most common form of entry world-wide. I wouldn't call any entry technique "dangerous", though anything can be made dangerous, like back rolling with no air in your BC into very shallow water with rocks at the bottom. Ultimately there's no substitute for common sense.

Don't know what "evacuation procedure" means. We're talking here about small boats. I can't imagine when you would need to "evacuate" a small boat, but I can't believe you would be in any doubt as to what was needed and intended. One thing not mentioned that could have been is what the "diver recall" signal will be (how divers under the water are told they need to return to the boat immediately). That is very rarely required, but should be part of the normal dive briefing. In any case, as a student you have no need to know anything like this - your instructor will take care of you.

I don't know what "skubakat's" credentials are, but both Elbert and I have many years' experience, many dives, and have certified many students. We do know what we're talking about.

Allie gave good information. Diving is great fun, very safe when conducted sensibly, and very few people are barred from it for medical reasons. Try it and you'll love it!

Sorry to rain on your parade so hard scuba kat, Instructors are trained to not say negative things when they talk to students about diving...they are nervous anyway, and really its a safe sport. smile
Do you dive in California? I've never had the pleasure but hear Catalina is cool.I've never seen a seal under water or Kelp.
Have you? I hope to run into a Woof eel someday, Way cool looking spooky face.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
KDA
Listen to Elbert & Pedro 2. Your original question was very vague - have you done any reading about diving? Is there a dive shop within driving distance to where you live? Every diver shop in the USA I have ever been in gives away, free, the magazine Dive Training. There are a lot of magazines out there but this one is directed toward the new diver. After getting free copies for a year I actually subscribed for several years.

I think what you are asking about is what I know as "Resort Course." I have had a good number of my guests take that here on Ambergris Caye with my favorite dive operator, Everette Anderson of Belize Diving Adventures. There is NO BEST dive shop here. There are many very very good ones and most of us have our favorites. Elbert & Pedro are both right up there at the top. It is important for you to hook up with some one you like and feel comfortable with.

I'm really sorry that you were cautioned against the back roll as that is what is done on all smaller boats. The giant stride is only from larger boats that are higher off the water. Yes, I was certified in California in the cold kelp forests (which are beautiful) but this warm water diving from smaller boats with fewer divers is wonderful.

Put you fears aside and come on down.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Oh - BTW - I think diving is easier than snorkeling and you don't get sunburned like I did Saturday and am still suffering.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
As a recreational diver who dives on vacations only, I would suggest doing the course and giving it a shot. People who first start snorkeling see a whole different world. Diving expands that world immensely. It is one thing to float 10 feet above a fish, and another to look it in the eye. If you are avid snorkelers, no doubt you have a good comfort factor in the water. That is a big plus. Those I have know that have done the resort course have a dive instructor close at hand all the time, watching you, evaluating you, and watching for the level of comfort you have. It is not all that complicated, and well worth the experience. It will also tell you whether you can handle it. Some I have known get extremely claustrophobic and a little panicky. Others have a problem clearing their ears. This is an opportunity to find out if it is something you would like to pursue. Just my 2 cents.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Go to Chuck and Robbies...........
Robbie is fantastic and will put you at ease if you start to become uncomfortable........

my husband had not dove in 3 years and *I* made him do the refresher.

I did a resort course 2.+/- years ago when i started diving to learn if i wanted to dive or not....... a great way to learn.

looking for special place to retire.
40 years breeding Multiple Best In Show Old English Sheepdogs
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day