Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#238783 - 05/25/07 05:20 AM Tariffs and Other Taxes?
KVarner Offline
I'm coming to Belize on June 1st. I am very excited. I also need to find out about what I should expect to pay for the various items I'm bringing with me:

1) Some various electronics and computer stuff
2) My prescription medications
3)Personal effects like clothes, toiletries etc

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find information about what I will need to pay?

#238790 - 05/25/07 09:26 AM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: KVarner]
Cooper Offline
I go to the States twice a year for supplies and bring back about 3 to 5 hundred lbs on the plane. Dispite what I hear I have always been been treated more than fair by customs. First go through the declare line, dont try to sneak anything in. Try to get the young thin Belizean girl. For Computer or electronics if you are taking them back out of the country with you there is no fee. its about 30% if they are staying, have receipts, if items are old at least have all items and value written on paper, customs seldom argue the prices as long as they make some sort of sense. Nothing is charged on medicine, nothing on personal cloths, do not say you are brining gifts to Belizeans.

#238798 - 05/25/07 09:51 AM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: Cooper]
I was charged duty at the Corozal border on prescription medicines, all clearly labelled with my name and address, and with a copy of the doctor's prescription.

#238853 - 05/25/07 01:41 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: ]
KVarner Offline
What percentage of the cost of the drugs did they charge you at the border?

#238874 - 05/25/07 03:05 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: KVarner]
Inplub Offline
I was told you could bring 2 x 50lb bags which = 100lbs, can you tell me what the other 2-5 hundred lbs cost you Cooper.

#238889 - 05/25/07 03:41 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: Inplub]
I think I was charged about 10% of what they estimated the resale value might be, but they were very vague. They asked me what the drugs cost and I truthfully replied "nothing", but I'm sure they didn't believe me. I ended up paying about US$40. When I asked them for a receipt they threatened me with charging much more, so I'm in little doubt where the "duty" ended up. Whenever I import something for my business I'm usually quoted two rates - with or without a receipt.

#238905 - 05/25/07 04:02 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: ]
Amanda Syme Offline
I usually pass through the corozal border after a shopping trip in Mexico. I am always assessed on some of the items that I buy. I would say that duty typically runs a little under 10% of the amount that I actually spent. I have never been offered two duty prices and I have always received a receipt.

I have heard that the customs guys sometimes take advantage of people - but that has never been my experience. I have found going in with a smile, being friendly and polite, being co-operative and generally truthful about expenditure and cost of items makes it a fairly painless process.

Last time I passed through that border we had gone to Playa Del Carmen for a quick vacation. We were waved through the border coming and going once we explained we simply had a couple of souveniers.

#238934 - 05/25/07 05:03 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: KVarner]
bywarren Offline
That didn't work as good for me Amanda. They wanted to charge me duty on my souvenier case of tequila and claimed that my other souvenier needed a visa. cool

#238936 - 05/25/07 05:38 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: bywarren]
Amanda Syme Offline
Next time you may need to smuggle those items via Xcalak!

#238949 - 05/25/07 07:44 PM Re: Tariffs and Other Taxes? [Re: Amanda Syme]
Last time I passed through the Corozal border I was just waved through - didn't even stop walking. I must have looked honest that day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (tazh2o, Sailorgirl, KathyA, Pokey, 1 invisible), 42 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,633 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,706 Topics
461,225 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.