Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#238783 05/25/07 04:20 AM
K
KVarner Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm coming to Belize on June 1st. I am very excited. I also need to find out about what I should expect to pay for the various items I'm bringing with me:

1) Some various electronics and computer stuff
2) My prescription medications
3)Personal effects like clothes, toiletries etc

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I can find information about what I will need to pay?

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
C
C
I go to the States twice a year for supplies and bring back about 3 to 5 hundred lbs on the plane. Dispite what I hear I have always been been treated more than fair by customs. First go through the declare line, dont try to sneak anything in. Try to get the young thin Belizean girl. For Computer or electronics if you are taking them back out of the country with you there is no fee. its about 30% if they are staying, have receipts, if items are old at least have all items and value written on paper, customs seldom argue the prices as long as they make some sort of sense. Nothing is charged on medicine, nothing on personal cloths, do not say you are brining gifts to Belizeans.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I was charged duty at the Corozal border on prescription medicines, all clearly labelled with my name and address, and with a copy of the doctor's prescription.

K
KVarner Offline OP
OP Offline
K
What percentage of the cost of the drugs did they charge you at the border?

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
I was told you could bring 2 x 50lb bags which = 100lbs, can you tell me what the other 2-5 hundred lbs cost you Cooper.

John

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
I think I was charged about 10% of what they estimated the resale value might be, but they were very vague. They asked me what the drugs cost and I truthfully replied "nothing", but I'm sure they didn't believe me. I ended up paying about US$40. When I asked them for a receipt they threatened me with charging much more, so I'm in little doubt where the "duty" ended up. Whenever I import something for my business I'm usually quoted two rates - with or without a receipt.

I usually pass through the corozal border after a shopping trip in Mexico. I am always assessed on some of the items that I buy. I would say that duty typically runs a little under 10% of the amount that I actually spent. I have never been offered two duty prices and I have always received a receipt.

I have heard that the customs guys sometimes take advantage of people - but that has never been my experience. I have found going in with a smile, being friendly and polite, being co-operative and generally truthful about expenditure and cost of items makes it a fairly painless process.

Last time I passed through that border we had gone to Playa Del Carmen for a quick vacation. We were waved through the border coming and going once we explained we simply had a couple of souveniers.

That didn't work as good for me Amanda. They wanted to charge me duty on my souvenier case of tequila and claimed that my other souvenier needed a visa. cool

Next time you may need to smuggle those items via Xcalak!

A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Last time I passed through the Corozal border I was just waved through - didn't even stop walking. I must have looked honest that day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.