Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239023 - 05/27/07 12:29 PM Mosquitos
BrusselSprout Offline
Did someone release 1 million mosquitos this morning? What does this mean? Rains coming? End of the world? SO MANY!

#239024 - 05/27/07 12:55 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: BrusselSprout]
lil'red Offline
Annoying aren't they? And the sand fleas. Deep woods Off has become my new perfume. Though I did find some Citronella lotion in Costa Rica, some homeopathic stuff that I am going to try out. I hate smelling like a lumberjack, lol.

#239025 - 05/27/07 01:06 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: lil'red]
BrusselSprout Offline
But this is the worst I've seen!

#239034 - 05/27/07 02:10 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: BrusselSprout]
I've seen FAR worse, but not for several months. I rode my bicycle homw a couple of days ago unthinking of mosquitos, but by the time I'd locked it and bolted indoors I had been bitten half a dozen times.

#239037 - 05/27/07 02:27 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: ]
ScubaLdy Offline
Last night and this morning they were everywhere. I probably had sixty bites a minute before I was able to get inside. Then it took time to swat all those that came in with me. And I don’t have AC!

This morning I borrowed a neighbors fogger and got rid of them for awhile. I’ve sent my caretaker to town to try to find some more ‘poison’ for the fogger and want to give the place a good dose.

The North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch has had to admit that our ‘OLD” fogger can not be fixed. We are going to try to get a new one. Fogging seems to be the only solution.
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#239038 - 05/27/07 02:44 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: ScubaLdy]
BrusselSprout Offline
It gets worse? I'm swooning at the thought...

#239039 - 05/27/07 03:25 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: BrusselSprout]
Oh yes, FAR worse! But never as bad as the midges you find in Scotland in July/August. They are real no-seeums individually, but en masse they darken the complexion. They crawl into your ears, up your nostrils, past your eyelids into your eyes, into your hair right down to the scalp, absolutely everywhere possible, and BITE. And they're so small they can get through any screen. I got off a bus in western Scotland once at dusk at the wrong time of the year, and had maybe a one minute dash to my accomodation. I'd been there before and knew where the public washrooms were, so I ran straight in there and under the shower - the only way to get them off. Luckily the water was hot and salved the stinging.

We're very lucky in Belize.

#239049 - 05/27/07 10:19 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: ]
LaraTravelBelize Offline
i LITERALLY had to run into my house from my golf cart this morning. there were about 10 on me....and i'm not jokin! i am sitting in my living room and have killed many a squiter...seriously, it does seem like something happened overnight. and it hasnt really rained! UGH!

i do remember last year, and it was the same thing, but not so early. i import cases of Sawyers Deep Woods. it is the best.
Romantic Travel Belize

#239051 - 05/27/07 10:37 PM Re: Mosquitos [Re: LaraTravelBelize]
BrusselSprout Offline
Do you remember how long it lasted last year? A few days? Weeks? Just wondering how long I'll be in lock down...

#239057 - 05/28/07 12:01 AM Re: Mosquitos [Re: BrusselSprout]
LaraTravelBelize Offline
many many weeks...basically until the end of rainy season in november or so. eventually it got so bad that the town would fog, but that was only when the truck was working. i hate to tell ya, it gets really bad. but then again, i live south, and i chose mosquito coast. like everything in life, there are good and bad.

seriously, there is a reason i buy a dozen bottles at a time of this Sawyer stuff. It doesnt smell, its oily versus sticky so it works like a charm on the sand fleas, and its in a spray pump so no aerosol.

wish i could give you hope, but we are now coming into rainy season, and sadly, mosquitos are a part of life. a pain in the ass, make ya miserable and barricade yourself in your house part of life, but a part of life nonetheless.
Romantic Travel Belize

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,698 Topics
461,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.