Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#239092 - 05/28/07 05:49 PM Teaching English as a Second Language.
Mohave_Steve Offline
Hello All,

I just returned from SP to my current home in Purgatory. Fortunately it wasn't as hot as I expected it to be (only 112F). And I was qutie enthused to find the latest issue of L&A waiting for me. After reading Liz Tonosi's article in this months L&A entitled "Cruising & Teaching around the World" I thought maybe
this could apply to makin a living in SP???

I promptly looked into the TESL/TEFL certifications and it looks quite straighforward. (TESL=Teaching English as a Second Language)

While I do not have fromal teaching credentials I do have a great deal of experience leading training classes teaching employees to operate new computer systems as well as one on one instruction. I enjoy teaching.

Here is the question to those of you who have been out there for a while: Is there really enough demand for TESL instructors
out there that I could rely on the work to put beans on the table?

What do you think?

Thanks

Mohave_Steve
Still searchng for the path out of Purgatory....

PS: Yes, I know that English IS the official language. However I do also know that "No Engles" is a common phrase.

#239119 - 05/29/07 12:19 AM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: Mohave_Steve]
dabunk Offline
Stick to the US, you could not even buy beans with that. Plenty of Belizeans teaching english.

#239123 - 05/29/07 02:07 AM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: dabunk]
Cooper Offline
I would have to give you a "NO" on that!!!!

#239143 - 05/29/07 01:40 PM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: Cooper]
indygal Offline
If you came to SP surly you noticed most people speak english or something pretty close. I have met some elderly folks who do not, but when you get to be 80,you ask you grandkids. Sorry you need a new idea. We could use a specialty bread bakery, can you bake?

#239151 - 05/29/07 03:13 PM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: indygal]
tacogirl Offline
Indy we need you and Db back for baking. smile

#239162 - 05/29/07 06:38 PM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: tacogirl]
ida_y_vuelta Offline
isn't english the primary language in Belize?!?! other than immigrants from surrounding countries...

#239164 - 05/29/07 06:49 PM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: ida_y_vuelta]
SP Daily Offline
English is the Official Language of Belize.

#239165 - 05/29/07 06:55 PM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: SP Daily]
ida_y_vuelta Offline
i just thinks it funny b/c that's not the first time i've heard someone wanted to teach esl in belize personally it doesn't make sense! but that's jmho! wink

#239218 - 05/30/07 08:16 AM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: ida_y_vuelta]
Wendy Offline
Mohave_Steve said he KNOWS that English is the official language

#239221 - 05/30/07 12:02 PM Re: Teaching English as a Second Language. [Re: Wendy]
Hon Offline
Most of the people I have met in Belize who do not speak English are (illegal?) immigrants from Guatemala. They tend to be working in very low paying jobs and, therefore, quite poor.

This would be fine if Mohave_Steve plans to volunteer his time to help these people learn English but if he wants to make a living doing it, I don't think that's possible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (nina09), 41 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,671 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,015 Topics
462,195 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.