Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
OP Offline
M
Hello All,

I just returned from SP to my current home in Purgatory. Fortunately it wasn't as hot as I expected it to be (only 112F). And I was qutie enthused to find the latest issue of L&A waiting for me. After reading Liz Tonosi's article in this months L&A entitled "Cruising & Teaching around the World" I thought maybe
this could apply to makin a living in SP???

I promptly looked into the TESL/TEFL certifications and it looks quite straighforward. (TESL=Teaching English as a Second Language)

While I do not have fromal teaching credentials I do have a great deal of experience leading training classes teaching employees to operate new computer systems as well as one on one instruction. I enjoy teaching.

Here is the question to those of you who have been out there for a while: Is there really enough demand for TESL instructors
out there that I could rely on the work to put beans on the table?

What do you think?

Thanks

Mohave_Steve
Still searchng for the path out of Purgatory....

PS: Yes, I know that English IS the official language. However I do also know that "No Engles" is a common phrase.

Stick to the US, you could not even buy beans with that. Plenty of Belizeans teaching english.

C
C
I would have to give you a "NO" on that!!!!

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
If you came to SP surly you noticed most people speak english or something pretty close. I have met some elderly folks who do not, but when you get to be 80,you ask you grandkids. Sorry you need a new idea. We could use a specialty bread bakery, can you bake?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Indy we need you and Db back for baking. smile

San Pedro based Belize Blog since 2007 - great travel resources & discounts https://tacogirl.com/

isn't english the primary language in Belize?!?! other than immigrants from surrounding countries...

S
S
English is the Official Language of Belize.

i just thinks it funny b/c that's not the first time i've heard someone wanted to teach esl in belize personally it doesn't make sense! but that's jmho! wink

Mohave_Steve said he KNOWS that English is the official language

Hon Offline
Most of the people I have met in Belize who do not speak English are (illegal?) immigrants from Guatemala. They tend to be working in very low paying jobs and, therefore, quite poor.

This would be fine if Mohave_Steve plans to volunteer his time to help these people learn English but if he wants to make a living doing it, I don't think that's possible.

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 320 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.