Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
merc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi,

Our family is coming to Ambergris Caye around mid June of next year, and being newbies to Belize, we are looking for some info, suggestions, etc.

The place we are looking at staying is about 3 miles south of San Pedro, next to the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. How is that location on Ambergris Caye for families?

What suggestions can you offer with regard to things to do/book and things to bring with us?

Finally, how BAD are the mosquitos, in mid June, and what can you suggest we do to minimize their impact on us? We had previously taken a vacation to St Martin in late summer, and the mosquitos were so bad that we couldn't go outside after it started getting dark. What is it like in Ambergris Caye, in mid June, after dark, with regard to mosguitos?

Thanks for any and all help you can offer us.

Take Care,
merc

Last edited by merc; 06/09/07 01:43 PM.
K
K
Lobsterfest!!!!! http://sanpedrolobsterfest.com/

I don't know how bad the mosquitos will be, but I can't imagine that they'd be worse than rural Ghana in the rainy season. So here is what you do: LOTS OF DEET. Impregnate your clothes with it too. Face, neck, even your hair. Deet, deet, deet. 25% concentration or higher. You will likely escape even the hungriest of hordes of mosquitos unscathed. I did.

LOBSTERFEST!!! [#%!] yeah!!! I love eating lobster!!

Crocs are BAAAAAAAAAAAD
M
merc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the help!

Lobsterfest looks like a blast... I wonder when it is gonna be when we're there in 2008? Right now, it looks like we'll be there from June 22-29, 2008.

I guess it is silly to plan so far in advance, but we are using points and coupons to fly, and want to get the nicest place to stay we can find, within reason. And, our flight reservations must be made before the end of June, 2007, when they expire.

As for the mosquitos, it looks like we need to start stocking up on Deet soon. ;-)

Things to do--checkout the Lamanai trips. This is a must do, by the way. Also, Bacalar Chico, Mexico Rocks, Hol Chan, and Shark Ray Alley for snorkeling. Lots of great places to eat, and make sure you take a day trip to Caye Caulker.

M
merc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Is certification required to go diving in Belize?
I am the only one with certification(in 1978), but my wife has been diving with me in lot of places including Cairn(GBR), Caymans, Florida Keys and a cave dive too. My kids are excellent swimmers and snorkelers, but have never used a regulator or scuba gear.

How much more do you see if you go diving versus just snorkeling in Belize?

N
N
If you go to Ambergris Cay it has its limits. You really need a boat to get to the snorkelers site and all diving has to be done from a for hire boat. As for the certification I'm sure you do as all the dive operators are PADI or something like that.

diving vs snorkeling is no comparision, diving wins, but thats just me. both of my kids are certified, they will love it if you take your kids as long as they are not afraid to start. you dont have to have them fully certified. you can get a discover scuba resort course and take them out for a few dives. the cert lasts for 2 weeks so once you do the course you can do as many dives as you want with an instructor.

fish

Shame on any operator anywhere that would take a non certified diver diving!

That will not happen in Belize. You can't even get a tank without a C-card. Why would you risk some ones life like that?
You have a whole year to get ALL of your family certified. Where do you live? How close is the nearest dive shop? Please - please get safe. You can do all of the class and pool work at home - I suggest just a couple of months before coming to Belize - then get a referral and do the open water here.
I don't mean to sound mean but scuba diving is something that needs to be taken seriously. Would you take your family sky diving without the proper preparation?

I love diving and encourage everyone to try it. Not everyone likes it but it is a wonderful sport to share with people you care about.

Harriette

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
you can do online courses with PADI 120.00 or SDI 89.00 and finish the open water when you get here.

Wrong information again. You do not need a C-card or have to be certified to dive in Belize. Many people who are not sure if they want to go to the expense and time to get certified will take a "resort course" or "discover diving course" once they get here. That allows them to dive with an instructor and see if they then want to go on to full certification at a later time.

Just as fish suggested.

Last edited by bywarren; 06/10/07 02:21 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.