Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#240337 - 06/11/07 08:01 PM US sales tax
Anonymous
Can anyone clarify for me? I've often over 5 years had people bring things down for me from the US, some of those things being sent to them by a dealer elsewhere in the country. My experience has always been that something sent between two states didn't incur sales tax. I've just ordered something from a nation-wide mail order service to be sent to a friend in the US, and have been charged sales tax. I queried this with them and was told that sales tax is always chargeable, whether across state boundaries or not. Only the rate changes a bit.

Is the difference here simply that this business only sells mail order, to all states, so don't have a "normal" State in which they do business? Or is what they say right, that sales tax should have been charged on all transactions and I've just been lucky for the past five years?

#240341 - 06/11/07 08:18 PM Re: US sales tax [Re: ]
Sir Isaac Newton Offline
In my experience sales tax (varied by counties and states) should not be charged when ordring out of state or if being delivered to a freight forwarded with out of state/int'l address.

But, it has been about 20 years now out of the US.

SIN

#240343 - 06/11/07 08:27 PM Re: US sales tax [Re: ]
bywarren Offline
Very complicated, even been addressed by the Supreme Court. Here is info if you want to wade thru it all.
http://www.newrules.org/retail/inttax2.html

#240349 - 06/11/07 09:14 PM Re: US sales tax [Re: bywarren]
Otteralum Offline
States have attempted to fill the gap by passing their own laws requiring all shipments into that state be subject to sales tax, regardless of the company's origin.

Now, while the company can ignore this most of the time by claiming they are not subject to such out-of-state laws, larger companies (and many that also have brick-and-mortar divisions) sometimes play nice and simply charge tax everywhere in order to keep legislators off their backs and minimize lawsuits by attorneys general.

Also, my state, Ohio, requires that I claim any internet purchases not already taxed on my income tax form.

#240354 - 06/11/07 09:47 PM Re: US sales tax [Re: ]
ChrisW Offline
That is a common point of confusion. There is a difference between whether or not you are obligated to pay sales tax and whether or not the store is obligated to collect it.

In Indiana and I am guessing most states we are obligated to report and pay sales tax on any items purchased from a store that is not obligated to collect it. In other words if we buy mail order and the company does not collect the sales tax for us, we have to send it directly to the state.

Of course in practice, the vast majority of individuals do not bother to report or pay this type of "lost" sales tax. So Indiana and probably most of the country is full of a bunch of sales tax cheats and most of them don't even realize it...

My advice is shop around until you find a place that won't charge you sales tax (will vary by the state you are shipping to and the location(s) of the store).

Edited by ChrisW (06/11/07 09:51 PM)

#240358 - 06/11/07 10:08 PM Re: US sales tax [Re: ChrisW]
krehfish Offline
Here in Wi, if the out of state company I order from has a store in WI, I pay WI sales tax. If they do not have a "presence" in the state, no sales tax, although I'm supposed to report these on my income tax return and pay the tax.

#240364 - 06/12/07 12:35 AM Re: US sales tax [Re: krehfish]
Anonymous
Academic anyway, as the purchase has just fallen through for another reason - delayed beyond the departure date of the person travelling. But the above comments are interesting - thanks to all. Does anyone know of anyone who will be coming to Belize from the lower 48 in 2-3 weeks' time who might be prepared to bring something?

#240373 - 06/12/07 02:55 AM Re: US sales tax [Re: ]
sandb Offline
For the most part, if the state from which you order has a brick and mortar, you pay the ordering state's sales tax

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,056 Topics
462,284 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.