Ambergris Caye Caye Caulker HELP! Visitor Center Businesses Lodging

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#240545 - 06/13/07 05:26 PM ?stinging ?
Rzab Offline
Can someone tell me: what is that stuff that 'stings' your skin AFTER you get out of the water? I remember coming into contact with some brownish moss-like stuff on rocks (slipped and sat on it, actually) and when I got out of the water, my butt got red welts: burned and stung for a couple days. Everyone vastly amused (except me) and recommended that I place a cold bottle of Beliken on the welts, while drinking another bottle of same with other hand. But seriously, what was it that stung? Is there a better remedy for stopping the stings? Cynth
what now?

#240555 - 06/13/07 06:10 PM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: Rzab]
Amanda Syme Offline
sounds like a hydroid of some sort - usually located on pier pilings, rocks etc.

A similar stinger is the pica pica which you can search on this board and find oodles of info on.

In any case, I would suggest exposing the afflicated area at all times!!! Ohhh your bum - maybe you shouldn't flash too much.

Ammonia or windex can relieve the stinging. Then you can use an oral anti-histamine to help relieve the itching and help you sleep at night.

You can use an insect bite topical ointment too.

Depending on your reaction it could clear within a few days or it could be miserable for up to a month or so. If it doesn't clear in a few days you might need to take a course of prednisone (bad spelling perhaps.)

If you have a severe reaction that is causing difficulty in breathing you might need an antihistamine and steroid shot.

The belikin consumption should help with the itching too!

#240568 - 06/13/07 08:02 PM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: Amanda Syme]
skubakat Offline
For stinging coral and jellyfish, I use vinegar. You might want to try that. Follow up with hydrocortisone cream. Works for me.

#240575 - 06/13/07 10:54 PM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: skubakat]
SimonB Offline
Sounds bad (and stupid) but I'm serious, put on a full wet suit, pee in it and then do cartwheels!

#240587 - 06/14/07 08:33 AM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: SimonB]
bywarren Offline
Or just use ammonia out of a bottle instead of out of your bladder.

#240589 - 06/14/07 09:15 AM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: SimonB]
KC Jayhawk Offline
Do it Simon's way and you're likely to end up on You-tube for the entertainment of the masses!! eek
When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.

#240595 - 06/14/07 09:58 AM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: KC Jayhawk]
SimonB Offline

#240597 - 06/14/07 10:07 AM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: KC Jayhawk]
button pusher Offline
While on vacation in Mexico, the "hotel beach boys" intruduced us to a can of WD40, and told us that ammonia would work too. Sounds strange, but WD40 worked.
When we were in Cancun my daughter was stung by something? she was only six, we gave her a Strawberry "smoothie" to help her relax and we used a topical the pharmacy sold......Ok I had a strawberry "smoothie" to help me relax too : )
So try the WD40 and some rum punch!

#240598 - 06/14/07 10:09 AM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: SimonB]
Cooper Offline
could also be fire coral, which dosnt seem like a coral at all, it grows on other things, like the cement pillars that are underwater at the split and the walls etc. To be safe stay away from anything that has a rust color to it.

#240601 - 06/14/07 10:55 AM Re: ?stinging ? [Re: Cooper]
Rzab Offline
Thanks, everyone! You guys are wonderful. Cooper (aren't you the artist?) I think you're right:it is the stuff they call 'fire coral' which isn't a real coral at all, just like you said. Looked it up and I think it's a hydroid. ANYWAY, it hurt. But is was a brownish rust color, and soft like a moss or plant.

So I'm trying really hard to come back to CC for a vacation -- it's been a long time. But if I do accidently sit on that fire coral again,I certainly will:

Expose my butt, spray on windex, ammonia, vinegar and WD40 while doing cartwheels, pee into a wetsuit and drink strawberry smoothies loaded with rum punch, topping it off with Belikins. By that time I won't care about a few stings!

Seriously though, you did give good advice, and I thank you for it! Cynth

what now?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,637 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,729 Topics
461,287 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory Picture of the Day