Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#241554 - 06/26/07 01:43 AM Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things
JRinSC Offline
Hi,

Great message board!

Now -- Karol and I are thinking of coming to Belize over the winter months (renting a house for 3-4 months) and are coming down in either December or April to check things out.

My first question is -- which would be better, Dec. or April? I think December since it is in the winter months in which we would be coming in the future. I know that Dec. is at the end of the rainy season and April is near the end of the dry season -- but I don't want to be in SP for a week of rain. Your thoughts on this please.

Also, is there a place where the expats meet and that we could meet with them and find out the "straight skinny" on the life there? Ideally, we would love to meet people, find a couple or three that we fit in with and then have a good social life with them and others for the "season". Does this make sense?? Please let me know what you think on this too.

Thanks!

Julian

#241562 - 06/26/07 02:54 AM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: JRinSC]
6string Offline
That's so cool that you are going to winter in SP. We were there last march and fell in love with SP. I'm not sure about the rainy season and all, but I can tell you the people there are great. Ex-pats, locals, native belizean, they are all fantastic there. We had a blast with everyone we met. I would just go with the flow on the social life... its there, and you'll have so much fun discovering it without having to plan a thing! Everyone we met, everyone we partied with, everyone we talked to while strolling the beach was truly wonderful. Enjoy!

Mike

#241597 - 06/26/07 02:20 PM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: 6string]
Julian Foster Offline
Thanks, 6-string..

I was kinda hoping to hear something like that!! From all I hear it sure sounds great. We are really looking forward to coming down..Still like to hear which time would be better - Mid Dec. or Mid April?? We can do either (but not both *grin*).

#241602 - 06/26/07 02:50 PM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: Julian Foster]
TrueLover Offline
If you're happy where you're from, chances are you'll be happy here. I love it. It's not for everyone though. If you're addited to malls, movie theaters, Home Depot and such, you may find some adjustment. But there are plenty of good people here. Some people spend a lot of time on the water, gardening, traveling around, socializing and so on but be aware some try to keep up with the tourist drinking at the bars and it can be their undoing. It is possible to be miserable in Paradise. Most of us love it and I have found living here to have a possitive affect in knowing myself in ways unseen when I was living the metro life. As far as where to meet people, there just isn't "A" place. The Island is small enough. Bumping around exploring is half the fun. Make your own way and friends. See it with fresh and open eyes. Spend time meeting the natives as well. December is a very polular time so it's a bit more pricy but the weather is usually better. I recommend spending time up north. It's a bit less developed and there are some great places to stay, eat, dive, snorkle, etc. Towns fun too but not the same Island experience. I live south of town now and love it too. Enjoy.

#241604 - 06/26/07 03:09 PM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: TrueLover]
Bobber Offline
Just a little toss-in here. If you like your lobster, December is better. No lobster in April.

#241605 - 06/26/07 03:17 PM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: Bobber]
JZB Offline
April is a great time. Hot and dry and usually no bugs! December can be great but north fronts can bring lots of rain and mosquitoes!! You just never know. Our weather is becoming more and more unpredictable.

Once you are here on the Island and you are out and about You will be meeting all kinds of people, local and tourists alike, without even trying.

#241613 - 06/26/07 04:14 PM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: JZB]
tacogirl Offline
Very easy to meet people here everyone is so friendly. This is one place you could go anywhere alone and end up talking to quite a few people by the end of the day.

#241671 - 06/27/07 08:08 AM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: JRinSC]
Ruth1 Offline
What about AC in August ...is this the rainy season? We are going the first week in August...
Thanks

#241672 - 06/27/07 08:12 AM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: tacogirl]
Ruth1 Offline
Originally Posted By: tacogirl
Very easy to meet people here everyone is so friendly. This is one place you could go anywhere alone and end up talking to quite a few people by the end of the day.

Hey Taco Girl,
Love the photo's thanks for posting them.
All the Best!

#241674 - 06/27/07 01:21 PM Re: Hi all -- need your help on a couple of things [Re: TrueLover]
Julian Foster Offline
Thanks to all of you for the great info. I'll present it to the boss and let you know which time we're coming. I will vote for Dec. (the lobster) but then we are bringing a lady friend along so I stand a good chance of being outvoted even more than usual!! *grin*

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (QuestGirl, 1 invisible), 43 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,675 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,060 Topics
462,315 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.