Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#242875 - 07/12/07 09:59 PM In-country rabies diagnosis now available in Beliz
SimonB Offline
In-country rabies diagnosis now available in Belize

Published on Thursday, July 12, 2007

BELMOPAN, Belize: Belize now has the capability to identify the source of rabies virus. The in-country facility is capable of diagnosing rabies in animals and pinpointing the source of the virus causing rabies. This has been accomplished through the Belize Agricultural Health Authority (BAHA).

Belize has a long history of rabies. The Annual Reports of the Ministry of Agriculture report cases in cattle in the Cayo District in the 1930s. Rabies has also been reported in other animals: horses, pigs, dogs, cats, raccoons, foxes and man.

The rabies virus has been sourced from dogs, foxes and vampire bats, with the vampire bat being the most common source of the virus, particularly in cattle. Records show that the vampire bat was the source of the rabies virus in a dog from the Orange Walk District in the mid 1980’s.

Given that rabid animals can transfer the disease to people and people have been affected in the past in Belize, there has always been a great need to diagnose rabies. Suspect samples used to be sent to Guatemala, then Panama and, recently, Guatemala again.

Though BAHA can now diagnose rabies, samples will continue to be sent to regional laboratories for quality control.

The strengthening of BAHA’s laboratory capability was initiated by PAHO in the late nineties, when they donated a fluorescent microscope to the veterinary diagnostic laboratory.

Mexico, through a bilateral project, completed the process through training of laboratory technicians, both in Mexico and Belize. In the last month, Mexico transferred the technology to Belize, sending three scientists from SAGARPA and INIFAP to conduct diagnostic testing for the rabies virus and the source of the virus.

Thus, BAHA’s veterinary diagnostic laboratory at Central Farm, Cayo District can report that its testing in Belize has shown that the vampire bat is responsible for the rabies cases reported in cattle in Cayo District in 2005 and 2006.

BAHA’s veterinary laboratory, with continued support from government and partners in development, will further strengthen its diagnostic capability for rabies, as well as for other animal diseases. BAHA has committed to ensure that animals in Belize will routinely vaccinated for rabies.

#242890 - 07/13/07 10:18 AM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: SimonB]
elbert Offline
Innocent species of Bats are going to suffer from this, The population of vampire bats has sored due to deforestation decreasing the population of its natural enemy, disrupting the balance and replacing its habitat with fields of cattle that it thrives on. The logging and cattle industry are to blame.
Bats are useful and do necessary tasks for health of the rainforest. If we over react and kill bats indiscriminately we could create bigger problems.
Humans have caused the imbalance that created this plague, one of those little lessons about screwing with mother nature.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#242901 - 07/13/07 02:48 PM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: elbert]
JeanH Offline
The CDC here in the US has some really serious recommendations when it comes to bats. If a person wakes up and finds a bat in the bedroom with them (and the bat isn't caught), the recommendation is for the family to get vaccinated against rabies.

I like sitting on our deck at night and watching the bats catch bugs. Since everyone is so paranoid about them, I fear they might not be around much longer. People are much more aggressive about getting them out of attics and such.

I have friends who have literally dove under the table when I pointed out the bats flying about.

#242908 - 07/13/07 04:41 PM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: JeanH]
ScubaLdy Offline
Bats are our friends! Elbert - correct me if I'm wrong - but aren't the lovely creatures we see here fruit bats?
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

#242909 - 07/13/07 05:02 PM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: ScubaLdy]
Amanda Syme Offline
I was just about to ask the same question. I have tons of bats around the yard at home. I enjoy watching them. Hate it when the poop on the deck though - its a tough job cleaning it up sometimes.

#242916 - 07/13/07 05:32 PM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: Amanda Syme]
SimonB Offline
There's a great book on bats by Brock Fenton who I had the pleasure of meeting while I was out at Lamanai. The Bat: Wings in the Night Sky http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1552092534/lamanaifieldr-20

Brock did a large amount of bat research while visiting Lamanai including research on vampire bats and the impact of the growing cattle industry in the area.

#242939 - 07/14/07 11:20 AM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: SimonB]
elbert Offline
Their are about 6 species on the Island and they all seem to like fruit and bugs. If you want to find one during the day look for chewed almonds on the ground under a young (not the super tall) coconut tree, look up from where the almonds lay and notice them hanging up side down or if not check the coconut frond stem for little claw marks directly above the almonds on the ground. We have Vampire bats on the island but they never bother anything and don't seem to be over populated or diseased. However one of the hotels in San Pedro has a fancy blow dart gun that they discreetly use on bats.Just to control them around the hotel.
Carol Miller, the author of '100 birds in Belize' has a Husband, Bruce that is the Batman of Belize I've heard some very fine lectures hes presented at Chan Chich. He has high tech gear that id's them by sound.can walk through the jungle at night an locate them with his hand held dish connected to his lap top. Batphobia is unrealistic no need to go batty over the Island bats.

#242940 - 07/14/07 11:25 AM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: elbert]
elbert Offline
In a normal healthy habitation they won't be a problem. balance is everything.70 to 80 species in Belize,that don't have bad reputations.

#242941 - 07/14/07 11:28 AM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: elbert]
SP Daily Offline
I have almond trees sprouting up under other trees where the bats hang out.

#242942 - 07/14/07 11:32 AM Re: In-country rabies diagnosis now available in B [Re: SP Daily]
elbert Offline
Yep and thats one of the many things they do for the world, spread seeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lil’ Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,632 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,698 Topics
461,211 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.