Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#243022 - 07/16/07 04:40 PM Trip(s) to the Mainland
GoHawks Offline
We heading to Ambergris Caye next month and while I expect the majority of our vacation will be on the island we are also interested in heading to the mainland and checking out some of the Mayan Ruins. Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to do this? Tour Company/Guide recommendations? Are we best off doing a trip to Tikal in Guatemala? This is our first time to Belize and Ambergris Caye, any suggestions/recommendations would be great. We are also kind of interested in cave tubing but not necessarily sold on that one yet, so any feedback on that would be great as well. Right now our priorities are relaxing, fishing, and the ruins, in that order. =)

#243027 - 07/16/07 06:48 PM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: GoHawks]
kris48 Offline
Lamanai is a great trip from the island. Tanisha Tours and Searious, among others, offer this all day trip. There are several snorkeling trips offered as well, including Bacalar Chico (around the north of the island) and a day trip to Caye Caulker. Tikal is fly only, and very expensive. If you only have a week, might want to save it for next trip, and base for part of the time in San Ignacio.

#243029 - 07/16/07 07:10 PM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: kris48]
elbert Offline
Lamanai is by far the best Mayan ruin tour,the only one with artifacts on display in a field museum.It also has monkeys in their natural rain forest setting. I always suggest it for the birdwatchers who request birding trips. largest chance of seeing Toucan and Jabaru Stork.
The front desk of your hotel will book it for you all the operators are good.
The Dive Shops Daily Blog

#243033 - 07/16/07 08:57 PM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: elbert]
seaexplore Offline
my sis did lamanai and LOVED it- she also did Tikal (it was a 2 day overnight trip) and said that was really good too. It just depends on your budget and how long you want to spend where. For Lamanai she used searious and said it was a good company. Have fun!
do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)

#243038 - 07/16/07 11:32 PM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: seaexplore]
belizegial Offline
Hello Kris48 and seaexplore, how are you both doing?

#243039 - 07/17/07 12:05 AM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: belizegial]
Bubba_in_ky Offline
We used SEArious Adventures for our Snorkel Trip and to Lamanai the staff was excellent. The trip inland was well organized and lunch/snacks were delicous. We learned a lot on the trip and were very satisfied with their service.

#243040 - 07/17/07 12:29 AM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: Bubba_in_ky]
GoHawks Offline
Cool, thanks for the quick responses. Seems like Lamanai with Searious is a great way to go.

#243042 - 07/17/07 06:16 AM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: GoHawks]
tacogirl Offline
I went cave tubing before with Seaduced and it was a great trip, that was a combo with the zoo.

For cave tubing you start with a hike through the jungle and then you get to float your way back through the cave.
tacogirl Facebook, Belize Life Linked In - Belize info & images https://www.facebook.com/tacogirl

#243044 - 07/17/07 09:15 AM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: tacogirl]
Cooper Offline
Going to Tikal is not expensive!!!We took the bus from Belize City to Benque( guatamala boarder) for $3.50 at the boarder we took a collectivo to Ramate which is about 8 miles from Tikal for $5.00 We stayed at a Beautiful Hotel Don David with a large one bedroom ,room on the lake for $20, the entrance to Tikal was $5.00 There is a Boarder fee which we dont pay as we are residents so I am not sure what it is. The trip was not at all expensive but it does take time. 4 to 5 hours to Ramate from Belize City so I would plan on 3 days, you need a full day to see Tikal.

#243080 - 07/17/07 05:59 PM Re: Trip(s) to the Mainland [Re: Cooper]
buzzbean Offline
Sounds like Cooper's way is much cheaper than my trip to Tikal but probably a bit more hassle. You'd just have to decide which is more important to you. You can book trips to Tikal from the island but they will be more expensive. You can do a Tropic-Air day trip, flying out of the SP airport, to BZE, to Flores and they will pick you up and drive you to the park and provide you with a guided tour and lunch for about $375. An overnight in Flores is a bit more expensive but not worth it, if you ask me. An overnight at the Jungle Lodge would be pretty cool but I don't know how much that would cost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker

TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Who's Online
5 registered (Marty, 4 invisible), 84 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,638 Registered Members
44 Forums
63,737 Topics
461,308 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 02:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.