Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#243359 - 07/22/07 02:38 PM Trip Report, June 8-25
cakelee Offline
We arrived on June 8, and because Continental had the flight time wrong on our itinerary, we arrived 45 minutes earlier than expected! We took a taxi to municipal and caught an earlier flight over! I had not realized until this trip that children flying from International to SP are not given any discounts; they pay the same $109US that adults pay. The $45US child fare from municipal was much more appealing!

Since our lunch consisted of running through IAH to catch our flight to Belize, we were starving when we arrived! We took our luggage to Miramar and headed back out to Fidoís Sandbar, which is the closest restaurant. The food is okay, but the kids love the bowling and the pool. We met up with some new friends and had a nice meal.

We spent our first weekend with some friends from Philadelphia. They had gone fishing and prepared some amazing food! Fish tacos, fresh mahi steaks with fruit salsa, tuna with wasabi sauce, frozen drinks - they were great hosts! We also took a water taxi to Capricorn with them and had a wonderful time there, as well. For the foodies out there - the group had appetizers of escargot, peel-and-eat shrimp and crab cakes and dinners of stuffed grouper, mahi mahi, steak and one of the nightly specials, sweet and sour shrimp. Fabulous food and service at Capricorn!

We had an enjoyable stay but did not do everything that we had hoped to do. We were so relaxed, we didnít feel like leaving most days! We spent a lot of time at the pool, walking the beach, having picnics on the pier and ate in quite a bit. Our neighbors cooked us dinner a few nights (thanks, Patrick!), and we reciprocated with breakfasts!

We did finally visit Pedroís for pizza and the Wii bowling tournament. The pizza was great, and we met up with some boarders, too! We had fun bowling with tacogirl, tacoboy and RIBeth. For pictures, please see tacoís blog. Laurie invited us to Wet Willieís, where we met Kerry and some others.

We did make it to our favorite restaurants for some great meals! Liliís and Estelís for breakfast; the Reef for lunch and dinner multiple times; Caliente, Celiís and El Patio (twice). We also tried the ice cream at various places and really enjoyed the coconut flavor! We walked around the lobster festival and ate at Fidoís at the kidsí suggestion. Their lobster portions were small compared to other places we tried the lobster at - Celiís, El Patio and the Reef. The hubby and I split the seafood combo platter at the Reef (had it prepared with lime and garlic), and there was plenty of food for us! We also had lunch at Ambergris Delight, which was good. The only complaint there was that the chicken burritos and chicken quesadillas came with bones. Not a big deal for adults; you just picked them out and continued eating, but I may take extra precautions for kidsí meals.

Three other friends from Philadelphia arrived during the middle of our trip. They were divers, so they spent a lot of time out on trips. We did a night snorkel together and had a great time. The creatures were all out and active, but I just could not get completely comfortable with that tiny flashlight, knowing that I was out in the ocean in the dark. We finished our night with dinner at Wild Mangoís. The adults had grouper, snapper and crab cakes, and the kids had root beer floats (they had Pepperoniís pizza earlier). It was a fantastic meal, and the prices were very reasonable for such first-class dishes.

For Fatherís Day and my birthday, we had an enjoyable afternoon by the pool, conversing with our friends, neighbors and their family. The conversation, beer and homemade ceviche flowed freely! The others all took turns playing with the kids in the pool, so we parents had a chance to just relax, enjoy the scenery and enjoy the company! We continued the evening by hiring a babysitter and going out to eat. We ate at Caliente and stopped at the Road Kill bar on our way home.

On our last weekend, we went out on boats twice. We took a snorkeling trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley with Chris from Suya. The kids had a blast swimming with the sharks, sting rays, puffer fish, jacks and even a huge loggerhead turtle! We hooked up to a fishing boat that was cleaning their catch, and the marine life was just swarming! A month later, our 2-yr-old is still telling people he swam with sharks! And you should see the looks on their faces! We also went fishing with some friends who took us to the south part of the island. We caught a few fish (only one big enough to eat), but the kids had a good time using the hand lines and riding on the boat.

The only regretful thing about this trip was that we had some items stolen from our golf cart. We brought down a bag of baby clothes to give to a friend that just had a baby. We stopped for breakfast, and when we returned, the bag was gone. We know it was our fault for leaving the bag on the cart, but it is really sad when someone feels the need to steal BABY CLOTHES! Hopefully, some baby on the island is using them now.

We never did meet up with Loansum, TQ, Bobber, Amanda or Collyk. However, I did meet Maya at the end of our trip. We were parked at Caye Coffee buying coffee to take home, and she rode up on her bike. I thought I recognized her from some of Captain Jeffís pictures, so I just asked, ďAre you Maya?Ē She said yes, and we conversed briefly about Collyk, my kids and the Royal Palm. Sorry we didnít see the rest of you. Shall we plan for next time?

Pictures can be seen at: http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l160/Cakelee/Belize%20June%202007/

#243423 - 07/23/07 03:25 AM Re: Trip Report, June 8-25 [Re: cakelee]
tacogirl Offline
Great pics was nice meeting you and family. Your kids are all adorable.

#243429 - 07/23/07 11:45 AM Re: Trip Report, June 8-25 [Re: tacogirl]
Danny2 Offline
Great pics and thanks for taking the time to share. Thay gave me that lonesome feeling.

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,672 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,016 Topics
462,196 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.