Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted by elbert

There is a belief, and probably some truth to it, that the Town Board doesn't poison dogs that wear collars, assuming that dog has an owner and is cared for. However putting a collar on all the strays will backfire and the poisoner won't use that criteria any more putting in jeopardy the other dogs.

Thanks for clarifying that Elbert - I was totally confused about the intention of this subject too. ScubaLdy, I hope you are not serious about putting our pets at risk with this plan.

What happened to all the initiatives after the big poisoning to control the stray population in a humane way? Has Saga changed their policy yet not to release animals without owners, because that would probably eliminate the necessity for the Town Board to poison strays.

Live and let live
I'm saying that the rule in the past has been to give the poison to dogs without collars, thus eliminating the obvious uncared for and unattended. Giving all dogs collars will circumvent this effort to not poison dogs with owners and will back fire on you. The recent incidents are not the norm.
Does it sound at all like I think any poisoning is a good idea?
I do not believe any poisoning is a responsible act.

Last edited by elbert; 07/26/07 01:18 PM.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Saga is a great place to adopt a pet. I've adopted "Lily", named by Jim Hanna's daughter, Dani...and she has been a joy. My friend Garcia and his family keep her...I get to walk her and pay for heart worm medicine and collars. Many of the stay dogs of Ambergris Caye have medical issues...heart worm, ect, but, I am sure that the staff at Saga would be pleased to assist a rescued animal effort.

Gone fishing!!
J
J
I am fairly new to this board and am confused by "poisoning". Do you mean they pick up strays and euthenize them, or do you mean they are putting out poison for random dogs to pick up. I am an owner of 2 dogs and know that sometimes even your best efforts to keep up with them can still not work. Sometimes a dog digs under a fence, or finds a way around it, or someone comes to the house and leaves the gate open. Are these dogs at risk? I hope not. Are collared dogs currently at risk for indiscriminate poisoning?

J
J
Also, I am moving there in October with 2 dogs. Has anyone had any experience with transporting pets from the States to Belize. Thanks alot

If you use the search function you will get more information than you want.

Jason,
I have two and sometimes three dogs. I've been here 20 years and always have had dogs that are not on a leash or confined and never had one poisoned. I'm sure to have them collared though and immediately repair/replace collars on my dogs because of this method of dog population control.I've brought dogs into the country and recently, if you need details on the technique email me.
Lately we have had some hysteria on the part of the public about a dog poisoning by the health department that went overboard, You really have little to be concerned about. Its a great place for dogs.

White Sands Dive Shop
N
N
I just called Petco and will bring down what I can next week.

Your not paying attention are you.

White Sands Dive Shop
Maybe they have had a private conversation with Scubaldy and know something the rest of us don't since Scubaldy started this thread but has not let the rest of us in on her idea.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.