Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Becky Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have read the postings from the last two years concerning the subject of bringing pets to belize. my only concern now is the wording on the bottom of the import permit sent to my vet by the belize agriculture dept. stating the pets could be quarantined for 30 days at the owners expense. the vet says he has shipped animals all over the world, but has not seen this before. i understand if all requirements are not met this could happen, but does anyone know if this has even happened without apparant cause?

S
S
You're best to contact BAHA yourself and ask them directly, they're usually very helpful; their e-mail is [email protected].

B
Becky Offline OP
OP Offline
B
thanks, will contact them

A
A
The folks at BAHA are most accommodating. The permit I received has no mention of any type of quarantine. I was able to obtain permit via email with BAHA. I have spoken to many folks who have brought pets in with no problem on the Belize side. The only problem I have heard is that BAHA typically has the permit waiting for you at the International Airport whereas Continental wants a copy of it before they will allow your pets to be transported from the US. Catch 22. Since we were just in Belize, we picked up a copy of our permit on our last trip out. Seems like the best idea would be to ask BAHA to either fax or email you a copy of the permit before you depart. Worst case, the airline can call the BAHA and confirm the permit. All this said, we are bringing our two labs down on Thursday, so we will keep our fingers crossed. Life is an adventure...right?

B
Becky Offline OP
OP Offline
B
adventure is right, especially in belize. thanks for your input. i have the form from baha (at least vet does) he thinks it has to be sent to austin and lots of other stuff, tomorrow i will get copy and learn more about this. i think maybe my guy is making this a little too hard. you guys make me feel better about all of it, i was really worried that dogs might be "taken" from us!!! too much drama! good luck with the labs.
becky

We moved from the UK with our little dog. BAHA were very efficient and helpful. The paperwork was simple and we had no problems. As for the quarantine provision. Most countries have this provision in case an animal arrives that causes concern because it does not meet the requirements of entry or because of suspicious symptoms. There are also international agreements in respect to endangered species. People who deal in this trade often transport animals with paperwork indicating another species. In addition to this domestic animals, particularly dogs, have been used in the smuggling of illegal drugs.

I wouldn't worry about a thing even though I know it is hard not to. We were stressed out of our mind with our own dog. And you know what? Everything went smoothly and she jumped out of her kennel when we arrived in Belize and said 'Why haven't you brought me here before?'.

ps. Make sure you are well informed about the symptoms of tick fever. Many people we know who have brought their dogs from abroad have had to deal with at least one case of tick fever. Our own dog had it recently. Her only obvious symptoms were a slight reduction in appetite and a bit of lethargy for a couple of days. By the time we got her to the vet (thank you SAGA and Dr Heather) her temp was 106degrees.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Becky, as long as you have all the required certificates there will be no need for quarantine. HEADS UP if you're traveling on Continental because they've changed their in-cabin pet regulations. They changed them this past January after we had already made reservations to take our cat. They didn't even notify us of the change! Anyway if you're traveling First Class you can not take an in-cabin pet on a 757, 767 or 777. If you're on a 737 or 747 you're allowed. Makes absolute no sense to me at all. Even the manager of Continental's customer service department couldn't explain why!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.