Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#243692 07/26/07 08:02 PM
OP Offline
Has anyone worked with a handicapped person either diving or snorkeling? Is this possible and safe? I'm talking quadrepalegic. Very limited use of hands.

It would be awesome for him. Let me know.

I taught a handicap scuba class years ago. It takes a liitle prep and planning, and best to have a "tender" for the diver (think Dive buddy, only more.)

We also got the webbed gloves for them. They loved it, for the first time in a long time they were mostly "even" with eveyone else.

Good luck!

Support Ambergris Caye Emergency Rescue
The life we are trying to save may be a loved one of yours
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Also many years ago I attended a class leading to certification as an instructor for the disabled. Unfortunately logistics prevented me from completing the course. I don't know if there's a substantial "hidden" demand, but I've never so far in Belize found anyone asking for it, so I've never taken up that course again. I do know Ramon's have worked with quads in the past - perhaps Elbert knows something about it, or you could ask Rick (runs the dive center, doesn't read this board).

OP Offline
Thanks so much for the info. I haven't found anyone here doing it really either. I have of course googled it and found it's popular and happening but mostly in Hawai, The Red Sea, Bali, and RoaTan.
I found a cool video of an assisted dive. The idea of weightlessness and freedom for them is exiting. Anybody else have any knowledge? Don't stop now it's just getting good. We have so many people doing different advanced life saving and other courses it seems a natural. Pool classes a given.

Writer claims no authority, worthwhile knowledge of any kind, and didn't make love to that woman.
K
K
It also depends what level quad they are. How are they breathing and what is the condition of their lungs to breathe through a regulator.

There's a fellow named Joe who is confined to a wheel chair. I'm sure some of you have seen him around town. I bump into him at the Coconet internet Café when he's on the island. He dives with Billy Leslie who virtually has to drag him through the water. Bill is now at Belizean Shores.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.