Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Topic Options
#24380 - 08/15/00 08:18 PM Getting around from Mata Chica
Frosty Offline
We're staying at the Mata Chica Aug 24-28. We want to relax, dive and check out San Pedro. What's the best way to get to town and to dive shops? Are there any good dive shops near us?

#24381 - 03/17/01 09:11 AM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
Erikita69 Offline
I saw your posting about Mata Chica, as I am doing some research on where to stay on A/C, and I was wondering how your trip was. Did you like MataChica? I hope you get this....Let me know. You can write me at erikaspencer@hotmail.com

#24382 - 03/17/01 02:53 PM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
Anonymous
there is a map you can download from the home page. on it you will see that mata chica is the FARTHEST north resort on the island. one way in, one way out, and that is by boat. they run water taxis. it should take you about 20-25 minutes to get to town by boat. bring a hat that doesnt fly off your head, they zip!

#24383 - 03/20/01 12:20 AM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
Escaping the Cold Offline
I cannot say enough GREAT things about our stay last month at Mata Chica. Correct, it is away from town, but that was one of the parts we loved! The island has everything figured out as far as water taxis, so getting back and forth to town or dive spots is no problem whatsoever. It's quite impressive how organized they are. The staff at Mata Chica is top-notch and will do everything they can to make your stay as relaxing as possible. They will make all the necessary calls to sign you up and arrange transportation. They'll just let you know what time to meet your ride (a boat) at their pier (about 50 away). Very easy!

You will have a wonderful time -- guaranteed.
We're trying to save enough $$$ to go back & stay at Mata Chica again. Loved It!

#24384 - 03/20/01 12:55 AM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
munichchick Offline
We stayed at Captain Morgan's and it is also up north. Mata Chica is just a little further north. We loved being away from town but it also was very easy to get to town via water ferry service US$5 per person each way.
We enjoyed the daily boat rides to and from town. The ferry service works great and I hear they also have a water taxi service you can call to pick you up and take you anywhere but it is a little more. We did not try it so. Since we live in crowded S.Calif. we loved being more remote surrounded by nature but in no way did we feel trapped. We did go into town for dinner and bars etc.

#24385 - 03/20/01 02:29 AM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
Anonymous
yes i did not mean to sound negative. i stayed at journeys end, between mata chica & captn morgans, and the seclusion was great. next time, i think i would stay closer to town. if anything, just for more variety of meals.

the scenery up north cant be beat. see my photos of journey's end at:
http://ambergriscaye.com/jane

they have a terrific dive shop at JE, steve the dive master is a neat person, to boot. he was featured on temptation island. my husband did 9 dives with him and was not disappointed on any.

#24386 - 04/12/01 05:29 PM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
Joe Jr Offline
The water taxi from Mata Chica is $10. US per person. When we stayed this March for a family of four the cost was $40. US each way, $80.US round trip for lunch or dinner. The resort has a boat each morning and later in the afternoon but to just go for lunch or dinner it got somewhat expensive. The resort boat is free but you must leave around 8:30 - 9 am and then take taxi back or wait until 4 oclockish for the resort boat. Bottom line if you want to go on your schedule to town expect to pay $20. US roung trip / person for the taxi. One of the things I thought Mata Chica could improve upon. They have discount water taxi tokens but we were told they were for non guests only ( coming for lunch / dinner ). That didn't make sense to me either at $300.+ / per night. Great place but some things irked me and would probably stay in town next time.

#24387 - 04/12/01 05:42 PM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
Anonymous
joe, i felt the same way. i really wnated seclusion that trip, but next time, closer to town for sure. the meals alone would save you a bundle from what you pay for, say, breakfast at the resorts up north. $6.95 for eggs & bacon?? breakfast at canibals in town cost that for both of us. and we got to eat with our toes in the sand

#24388 - 04/12/01 05:45 PM Re: Getting around from Mata Chica
garfish Offline
frosty see my posting "marty board very helpful" hope this answers some of your questions...say hello to rob the bartender at mata chica from garfish

Links
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
Love FM
The Reporter
Caye Caulker
Chronicles

PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Conch Shell Inn: All rooms are right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro, so within walking distance to anything and everything!!
Lilí Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
Mini Chat

Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
18,674 Registered Members
44 Forums
64,055 Topics
462,292 Posts

Most users ever online: 1,262 @ 06/10/07 07:16 PM

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com SanPedroDaily.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.