Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#244100 08/01/07 01:20 PM
B
bec Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I was just on Trip Advisor and was reading posts dating back to
February and people were talking about sea grass. They said that due to this it was impossible to swim in the water! Does anyone know if this is true? I would be sooooo sad if this was the case.

sun,sand,cerveca
bec #244101 08/01/07 01:27 PM
Because the surf breaks on the reef offshore, there is sea-grass along the seaward beaches of Ambergris Caye. It is a vital component of the ecosystem that makes AC and its reef such a marvel. That said, swimming off the beach is certainly not impossible. The sea grass is heavier in some places than other, but there are many areas that offer fine swimming, and it is great off the numerous piers. Howver, if you are looking for pristine fluffy white sandy beaches with crashing surf, you will be disappointed. Aside--I'm going back for the third time in three years--the great people on the beaches are the kicker for me!! grin

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
bec #244104 08/01/07 01:50 PM
S
S
Seeing we are a top snorkel and dive destination, this statement in false. Some areas along the coast are natural turtle grass beds which make Belize the unique aquatic playground that it is. So some places along the beach are too shallow to swim and have an abundance of turtle grass. Other places offer nice swimming areas from shore. Most of the private rental homes and resorts have piers where you can swim in the deeper water which is usually several meters off shore.

http://discovermagazine.com/2002/jan/cover

Check out my site: www.ambergriscayerealestate.net
All of this is true, what you will find, and probably the comment concerns, is the good stuff is a boat trip to the reef and the 'jump off the end of the dock for free' stuff isn't that wonderful.
snorkeling boat tours runs about 30. to 40. usd and there is never any trouble getting one when ever you like.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #244114 08/01/07 03:37 PM
there are crazy posts on tripadvisor sometimes. i am currently trying to get one removed that is not from me, but was written by a user using a form of my name slamming ecologic divers.

a frequent poster on tripadvisor who is also on our board notified me of the post so i can get it removed.

Marty #244118 08/01/07 04:37 PM
B
bec Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am staying at the Costa Maya Reef Resort in February. I am not a diver, but a beach and sun lover. We are traveling from New York where the average temp is 25 degrees with snow, ice, and yuck! Looking for relaxation which is why we picked CMRR.
Did I make a mistake. Beach is a big part of our vacation. My husband, brother and the rest of our party will KILL me.

Thanks for your replys

sun,sand,cerveca
bec #244119 08/01/07 04:55 PM
No worries. Understand the proper expectation and all is well. If you go in expecting Jamaican style beaches, you'll be disappointed. If, however, you expect a wonderful walking beach in one of the best cultual environments in the Caribbean -- you'll find out why so many people here love AC! I was apprehensive before our first visit and now I regret it took so long to discover AC.

I will have a Belikin -- put it on klcman's tab.
bec #244120 08/01/07 04:56 PM
I live next to Costa Maya and there is a big white sand beach were the guests hang out and sometimes play volley ball, sun bathe,etc.
but they have a sea wall that stretches the length of the property.
I think what every one is trying to relay is we have reef and no Florida style beaches with serf, because the waves break on the reef and not the shore its a different style of beach at the waters edge.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
elbert #244125 08/01/07 07:06 PM
P
pedro2
pedro2
P
Marty - I've had outrageous and demonstrably false things said on TripAdvisor about my business and nothing works when you try to do something about it. I think someone set up a computer system and just left it. Although I don't remember any of the detail I believe a well known and highly reputable local hotelier suffered the same way and had the same outcome - nothing.

I WAS disappointed when I had a similar unproductive experience with another website very close to home (no, not yours). I suppose it's the price we pay for instant communications.

On the seagrass, yes it can be a bit unpleasant in places, but it's fairly easily avoided. A price well worth paying for a natural environment.

#244126 08/01/07 07:27 PM
Cervesa

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love Truly, Laugh uncontrollably.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,202
Posts500,026
Members20,466
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.