Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Can some of you help me? I am forced to use the air conditioner on a somewhat regular basis right now. I do not understand the energy usage.
For instance - does it matter what fan speed it is set on?
Do higher fan speeds use more current?
Does setting it in the economy mode really save energy?
Is it better to let it run all the time to maintain a level temperature or turn it off when I leave the room?
Should all AC's be run occasionally?

I have three wall units; one in each bedroom and one in the great room. I mostly only run the one in the bedroom where I sleep and where my computer room is. I am dreading getting my next electric bill.

All reasonable suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by ScubaLdy; 08/08/07 11:29 AM.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
It's the cold air that causes high electric bills. Fan speed (just moving the air in the room) won't make a huge difference in the cost. Part of the a/c unit's ability to cool the air is its ability to also remove humidity.

In a corrosive environment, you should run your equipment occasionally.

Setting your thermostat to a higher temperature will cut down on the cost. If you turn off the a/c to leave for periods of time, the air will heat up and the units will work harder when you re-start them so it's kind of a six of one, half-dozen of the other decision either way.

Don't run your ac too cold; when the ac is in Celsius, 26 or 27 is more than enough.
When you leave a room for more than an hour, switch the ac off (air circulates constantly in and out of the house).
Buy and run (ceiling) fans they can cut your cost with 50%, as you don't need to set the ac that high.
Run the acs in the rooms you don't use for a half an hour every week or 2 weeks, just to keep them in a working condition - you might also want to run them to prevent mold.
Do not run the ac in the room with your computer too cold, as when you turn it off vapor can spring from metal parts.

Live and let live
OP Offline
Thanks everyone - I never set mine lower that 76 - mostly 78

Harriette
Keeping fans on in the room to circulate the cold air helps the room to feel cooler, then use lower setting on the AC unit.

Elvis always lined the windows with aluminum foil.

Gone fishing!!
Is Elvis back on the Island?
We haven't had any sightings reports in a while

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
OP Offline
I thought the aluminum foil was used on crack houses?

Harriette
Elbert: Dennis Wolfe has a great original song about Elvis living on Ambergris Caye. Dennis sings it very sincerely...so, obviously it must be true. Harriette: Aluminum foil really helps keep the heat out in the summers...saves $, wish is the object of this thread. I didn't realize aluminum foil was used on crack houses...although my neighbors have been giving me the cold shoulder, lately. ------------------------------------------------------------------Bill I'm forever blowing bubbles.

Gone fishing!!
S
S
actually, foil is used on windows in pot houses here in California to help keep the heat/humidity in and law enforcement out. Nothing like seeing foil lined windows to tip off to the possibility of a crop! We've had a HUGE number of pot raids in North/central Cali recently.

do I have to get shots to go there? 8o)

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.