Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#244858 08/11/07 06:01 PM
R
roxane Offline OP
OP Offline
R
What can you tell me about the tres cocos area?

roxane #244863 08/12/07 06:58 AM
B
B
THE most beautiful part of the island, bit of a crime problem lately.

Big Mike #244864 08/12/07 07:37 AM
Very little crime actually. We had 1 week in june that was bad, and because we have an active neighbourhood watch it gets reported, so people hear more about it than crime in other areas.The culprit was identified but when police went to catch him at his residence in San Pedrito he jumped into the lagoon and eluded capture. Some of the stolen items were recovered.
No crime problem for a long time before nor since----certainly no where near as much as the rest of the caye.

Big Mike #244865 08/12/07 07:55 AM
I should also mention that the crimes occured during the Central American summit meeting at Banyan Bay when the police were stretched way beyond their capabilities and it was also the fiesta of San Pedro Day.On top of that there was hardly any one in Tres Cocos. All were at the party or in the USA for the summer,so there was no one to assist to prevent these crimes.

natalie p #244872 08/12/07 11:09 AM
L
L
Criminals ran amok all over the island for that few weeks, not just in Tres Cocos. I can name at least 10 people in the south who were victims of break-ins and theft, including my restaurant. Not all of the culprits were caught, but the magistrate seems to have had enough of the B/S and is really hitting them hard. The guy who entered my restaurant got 5 years.

To your question. Tres Cocos is a beautiful part of the island, with neighbors who keep an eye on each other, and builders who have constructed to compliment the environment. It is kept clean, and the road up to the Palapa bar is lined with flowers and trees, and is really very pretty. I don't think anyone could err in either buying or renting over the split, it is a really nice area to be.

lil'red #244874 08/12/07 11:21 AM
B
B
"very little crime".....yeah, only about 30 break-ins over a few month period, several boat thefts along with at least 2 home invasions that I know of. Again, it IS the most beautiful part of the island, I'm proud to own property there, but we have had a bad year for crime.

Big Mike #244885 08/12/07 01:28 PM
Roxane: What do you want to know? What place are you considering?

Hey Mike:
Are you here now? Thirty break-ins? Where did you get that information? The police don't have that. The North Ambergris Caye Neighborhood Watch meets once a month (last Saturday's) at the Palapa Bar and the police usually attend. We get very complete reports on crime. Are you a member of our group? Do you get the minutes of our meetings? If not would you like to?
The police make irregular patrols for a good ways up. The best protection is a care taker with a dog that barks. I have both and NOBODY comes in my yard!
Of course we would like ZERO crime and we do watch out for each other. Heck, my neighbor across the road from my place in El Tosero called to tell to tell me my pump was running a lot. How's that for taking care of each other?
BTW - El Tosero is a small section just north of Tres Cocos. Tres Cocos is generally referred to as the area from the north end of the bridge to the Palapa Bar, and it is very beautiful. Except for the section of Tres Cocos that used to be called Bob's Flats, and now is Reef Village and other condos, this area is mostly homes set into beautifully landscaped lots with lots of privacy.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ScubaLdy #244887 08/12/07 02:23 PM
B
B
Harriette, I agree that the nacnw is top-notch, I'm a member, though I haven't been able to make many meetings. Like I said, to me, Tres Cocos is the most beautiful part of the island. I look forward to building a home on my land there, for now I'm on the other end of town. All I'm saying is that we've had a bad year for crime, lots of break-ins and freakin' home invasions included. I've had more than a few friends wake up to find boat robbed of engines, parts, or the whole boat gone too! Look through the last 6 months of nacnw posts, I stand by my figures. Here's to hoping that they caught all the bad guys and all of this comes to a halt.

Big Mike #244891 08/12/07 03:23 PM
Here's the list of crime reports given to and put out from NAC NW
for the period of aug 11th,2006 up to today;
from aug 11,2006- to feb 12 2007 there were 8 break-ins reported north of the cut, which includes up to Kitty's place,and we all had a good idea who was involved. Things got much quieter when this person left Tres Cocos in February,and there were no further break ins until the last week of june this year, when there were 4 break-ins that one week, one home entered twice.No break ins have been reported since.
There was 1 stolen boat and it was recovered minus the engine in jan 2007.
There was a report of boat parts being stolen early this year near Kitty's place. These are the facts as far as I could find in our records.
Natalie, president NAC NW

natalie p #244895 08/12/07 03:48 PM
B
B
I'm surpised you forgot to mention this scary one from last August, you wrote the alert.

<<<Reports are coming in of a break in at Tres Cocos at about 4 am this thursday am , where 4 men tied up the Gilmore's with duct tape and attempted to rob them but no valuables were found by them. They may have had a gun, but this is not confirmed.A description of the men is not available as this all took place in the dark. Police are investigating.
Please, everyone , report immediately to your neighbours and police if you see suspicious persons in your area.
Natalie>>>

And how many "attempted break-ins" and alerts of "prowlers" were sent out last year?

To Roxanne, the original post-er....Tres Cocos is beautiful, buy there, please. Just be sure to keep everything secure, like you should anywhere on the island.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.